uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrFujiKicker

join:2010-08-30
Flushing, NY

1 recommendation

reply to AlanM

Re: Horrible youtube speeds

Someone from Reddit figured out the solution to remove the whole Google Peering or the whole intentional bandwidth throttling by Google.

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···_stream/ sort by: Top

Basically, you need to block out the IP range that causes the bandwidth throttling, while you're trying to watch a Youtube under any video bitrate. I've tested this out and it works really well, utilizes my maximum bandwidth without any buffer.

Block IP from 206.111.0.0 to 206.111.255.255 within your Inbound Rules of your Windows Firewall. This link will help you proceed through the process on how to block the IP ranges: »www.studyblog.net/2011/10/block-···irewall/ Under step 9, where you input the IPs, it's best to select "This IP address range" for easier inputs of your IP range.

Once you set this all up, you'll be able to watch any Youtube video with your glorious speeds.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan

Thank you, I just configured the rule and I'll see what happens later today

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

2 edits
reply to MrFujiKicker

said by MrFujiKicker:

Block IP from 206.111.0.0 to 206.111.255.255 within your Inbound Rules of your Windows Firewall.

Those IP's are not listed in wireshark (or using netstat) when viewing youtube videos yet I still like others have the buffering issue. I guess Ill start generating a list of the source youtube IPs and throw them into my routers firewall list.

MrFujiKicker

Flushing, NY

said by bohratom:

Those IP's are not listed in wireshark (or just using netstat) when viewing youtube videos yet I still like others have the buffering issue. I guess Ill start generating a list of the source youtube IPs and throw them into my routers firewall list.

IP's won't be listed if you simply ping out Youtube. The player has its own logic to redirect your bandwidth through caching servers such as the IPs listed. These servers purposely throttle your bandwidth to allow more connections, hence Youtube will suffer terrible speeds upon viewing a video. Blocking the listed IPs I suggested will avoid the Youtube player's logic and reverts back to the Google's datacenters.

I would love to hear someone's response in attempting to try out this block and see if there's significant improvement.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

1 edit

said by MrFujiKicker:

IP's won't be listed if you simply ping out Youtube.

Guess U didn't read what I wrote.... "viewing youtube videos" with wireshark sniffing packets.

BTW I read more of that reddit thread regarding blocking that Class B network and it was posted by somebody using TWC from 3 months ago.

MrFujiKicker

Flushing, NY

said by bohratom:

BTW I read more of that reddit thread regarding blocking that Class B network and it was posted by somebody using TWC from 3 months ago.

Yeah, you're right. The specific IPs listed may be associated with TWC/Brighthouse and there may be more caching servers Google use for specific ISPs. 206.111.0.0/16 may work overall and select few will be redirected to another type of caching server under a completely new IP to throttle your speeds.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to bohratom

If you're running linux, check out pktstat. It's a real-time monitor. You may want to try some of the command line options to get better results.

At 6:00 a.m., a youtube feed comes in with no problems from 74.125.0.x, with x being somewhere in the range of 41 and 46. Checking at various times of day may be useful to locate the IP source to see if it changes.

bsh

@verizon.net

Here's a pic of the last month, which has been FAST compared to most of 2011 and 2012.

michael3314

join:2012-09-12

Something has changed. A video from youtube that I tried to watch yesterday that paused 17 times now buffers in less than a minute. Congrats to Verizon or Youtube for fixing this problem.

Max Greene

join:2000-12-22
Bayonne, NJ
reply to bsh

Where is that chart from? Id like to take a look at other similar charts.

Clodas

join:2009-01-13
Boston, MA

I am relatively new to FiOS, I've been a customer since 6/2012 in the Winchester, MA area. I don't think this is fixed, I am still unable to watch youtube videos at 240p. If I run a speedtest I get 80Mbps down and 35Mbps up. Everything else is blazing fast, but go to youtube, and its slower than a 14k modem. The only way around this is to shutwifi on my iOS devices to connect to the LTE network or came by computers connect to my iPhone's hotspot to watch a youtube video.

The fact that this has been happening for years (per online forums) troubles me and tempting me to change carriers when my contract is up this summer. Its a shame considering how great the rest of the service has been.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to birdfeedr

At approx. 18:00 (a few minutes both sides), pktstat shows video feed coming from 173.194.7.178.
One video tested, only one hiccup on a 240p feed.

173.194.53.181 @ 480p
208.117.240.42 @ 1080p
173.194.63.43 @ 720p with buffer problems, also at 240p

Looks like 1080p is sourced from 208.x, others from 173.x, which is different than this morning from 74.x

Look for the pattern.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Google Internal Choke
said by birdfeedr:

At approx. 18:00 (a few minutes both sides), pktstat shows video feed coming from 173.194.7.178.
One video tested, only one hiccup on a 240p feed.

173.194.53.181 @ 480p
208.117.240.42 @ 1080p
173.194.63.43 @ 720p with buffer problems, also at 240p

Looks like 1080p is sourced from 208.x, others from 173.x, which is different than this morning from 74.x

Look for the pattern.

the 173 ip's are Google, the 208 is YouTube on whois

If you tracert to 173.194.63.43, it clear its within Google's network the overload, its before the peering point hits Verizon

216.239.46.251 looks to be an internal to Google choke point

I bet if someone on Comcast does some netstats there going to find the content is cached, not on the Google network

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

2 edits

said by guppy_fish:

I bet if someone on Comcast does some netstats there going to find the content is cached, not on the Google network

^^^^^^^^^^^
DING DING DING - We have a winner!

(And by "we have a winner" I really mean "I don't know if this is really the right answer, but doing actual research and testing will get us a lot closer to the right answer than anything else will")

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

said by knarf829:

said by guppy_fish:

^^^^^^^^^^^
DING DING DING - We have a winner!

(And by "we have a winner" I really mean "I don't know if this is really the right answer, but doing actual research and testing will get us a lot closer to the right answer than anything else will")

I really do not care if its cached or not, all I know that is that I can't watch most videos reasonably well.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

4 edits
reply to MrFujiKicker

I wonder if the entire network of FIOS is served by the same Google caching servers or if some IP networks vary?

Expand your moderator at work

djbis

join:2002-08-07
Wilmington, DE
reply to MrFujiKicker

Re: Horrible youtube speeds

i tried to handle the IP blocking through my router and the results have not changed much. The first few days it seemed better, but I still have really bad days. So I don't know if the change has made any difference. Youtube buffering results have always been inconsistent.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

Not sure why my previous comment was removed. Again all these changes to routers and blocking do not seem to change or enhance performance. There is no evidence that they are having the desired effect of improving streaming from google consistently.

Any change seen is either temporary or placebo or is taking place during non peak hours when you would expect to see improved performance.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios

join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

I think I found the real issue here. I was watching You Tube videos last night on my iPad.

Using the downloaded YouTube app, video was HORRIBLE. Choppy, couldn't download entire video.

I then watched the same video via youtube web site via Safari browser, no problems what so ever.

This was about 9pm EST last night.

Could this just be related to the you tube app provided by Google?

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium
join:2001-12-11
Las Vegas, NV

Unlikely, I seem to get crappy streaming regardless of browser on my desktop or tablet, or if using the app on my Sony TV, phone, tablet... All pretty crappy including IE on the xbox or the Xbox youtube app... I dunno..
--
Smoke'm if ya got'em !!!

djbis

join:2002-08-07
Wilmington, DE
reply to danclan

Exactly my thoughts at this point.