spc
uniqs
KeepCool
join:2011-10-27
Montreal, QC

1 edit

KeepCool to hm

to hm

Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

Things has changed a little in acanac... I left then around 4 years ego to never again...
In that time I had signed up for a 12 month term... it wasn't written anywhere that I would be throttled on pick hours as it is today
a couple month later the speed (5000/800) was lowered to half every single night without any advise
I made a lot of complaints without any success... what a waste of time...!! then I decided to cancel the service... another pain in the ass... did not want to let me go... somebody toll me to open a thread here and ask for help. which I did... it was the only way to solve this but they charged me the regular price for the months already used... so I paid a regular price for a very crappy service but happy to left then So BE aware.. very aware...

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

I'd have to say, after the problems I've had with Videotron's Usage Monitor and "discussions" with Electronic Box over it, combined with Acanac's rate limiting policy, it has me seriously thinking of going directly to the source.

Videotron will be soon offering unlimited to it's subscribers. With the discount I would get on my home phone with them, their 20 Mbps unlimited plan would be virtually identical to what I'm paying Ebox now for my capped 30 Mbps service.

While I don't really like going down in speed, I really don't enjoy fighting every couple of months and setting up multiple monitoring systems because what they say I used, I did not use. I also really don't like the implementation of throttling in any way, shape or form so this leaves me with very limited options.

I guess I'll wait and see what Ebox is going to do with their pricing before I make a decision.....

NitPicking
@videotron.ca

NitPicking to KeepCool

Anon

to KeepCool
This throttling thing with Acanac isn't anything new. This exact same conversation being had here about throttling was had here a year or two ago (around the same time Distributel picked them up and they became part of the distributel companies).

Everything you see in this topic was said in another topic over a year or two ago.

So, I don't think they throttled 4 years ago. Sounds like maybe you had a line problem. But I could be wrong. Maybes Acanac wants to say they throttled 4 years ago? dunno.

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

We had no rate limiting capabilities 4 years ago. The most logical explanation is that the client was removed from the remote port back to the CO. (At this point the client was to far for the full 5Mbps sync rate.) We don't have control of this accept of the service. It's a battle we have been waging for several years now with the incumbent.
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

LanAdmin to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

I'd have to say, after the problems I've had with Videotron's Usage Monitor

Just install DD-WRT on your router. Its traffic counter is pretty accurate.
---------------------------------------------------------
Unlimited Videotron 20Mbps will cost you at least 66$/month

650GB Ebox 20Mbps will cost you 65$/month

Unlimited Acanac 15Mbps/30Mbps will cost you 57$/month

The Acanac plan is not too bad, at worst you will get 5Mbps less than Videotron at peak hour but you will get 10Mbps more Of peak.
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf

said by LanAdmin:

said by rednekcowboy:

---------------------------------------------------------
Unlimited Videotron 20Mbps will cost you at least 66$/month

650GB Ebox 20Mbps will cost you 65$/month

Unlimited Acanac 15Mbps/30Mbps will cost you 57$/month

The Acanac plan is not too bad, at worst you will get 5Mbps less than Videotron at peak hour but you will get 10Mbps more Of peak.

That's if, of course, there's congestion. It's not a hard cap enforced like Bell used to throttle. I personally have seen once 22mbps a rainy Sunday afternoon, otherwise, it's 31.3 down and 3.2 up at all times, even at 22:00 midweek!

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy to LanAdmin

to LanAdmin
said by LanAdmin:

said by rednekcowboy:

Try telling that to Ebox and Videotron!

I've had to go an extra step now and also install DUmeter on all of my pc's to prove what DDWRT is saying is true.....

Right now, I'm paying $59.95 for Ebox with a 500 GB Cap

You are correct that Videotron's Unlimited 20 Mbps plan will cost me $65, but I have my cable and phone with them as well so I get another $3 discount on top of that, making it only $62. This has an edge which would make the trade of losing speed almost even as I don't have to worry about throttling or caps.

Acanac's 30/unlimited plan seems like the best deal, but you would have to pay 1 year in advance to get $57. I would most likely go per month, which makes it $63, $1 more per month than Videotron but then I really don't like any talk of traffic shaping whatsoever. It has very rarely been implemented and currently they state only 5 hours a day, but what's to stop them from changing that half way through the year because it's costing them too much and it becomes 5pm - 12am during the week and 24 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday? It's a very precarious position and a slippery slope, IMHO.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

4 edits

vincom

just got off the phone w/steve from rogers
as a new customer:
approx $66 express 25/2 w/unlimited, free rental, no install fees
approx $75 extreme 35/3 w/unlimited, free rental, no install fees

these prices are good for 6mos from activation then discounts are removed

steve says call rogers between 1 to 5months to cancel, see if they will continue offer or even offer a better deal by stating you can get better deals at start/tsi.

if they wont for whayever reason i will get a good baseline for stability and quality with rogers internet when i make my move to tsi/start when aggragate pricing is hopefully resolved and tsi is aggregated, and moving to start would save me the $50 fee

for me this is a good deal since no tsi in bolton, and start has low usage caps and we use approx. 500gb /month
dsl in my area is limited to 6mb, which is what i am on now w/coloseum w/unlimited for $37 plus teksavvy pots $30

i will cancel both and get voip from freephoneline and what i'll pay for express will be the same as what i am paying now and i will get 4x download speed 3x upload speed compared to my 6mb dsl
all prices i am stating are +tax

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to rednekcowboy

Premium Member

to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

said by LanAdmin:

said by rednekcowboy:

Try telling that to Ebox and Videotron!

Ebox and Videotron are already aware that router usage tools are more accurate than theirs.

It's just not in their best interests to admit.

Mike

Nit Pickling
@videotron.ca

Nit Pickling

Anon

said by dillyhammer:

Ebox and Videotron are already aware that router usage tools are more accurate than theirs.

It's just not in their best interests to admit.

Mike

You think Ebox is hiding the truth? And tEbox doesn't want to tell the truth because it will, A) lose them money & customers B) create extra work by maybe fighting for the customer?

Wow. You make Ebox sound more evil than Bell.

Can it be?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Nit Pickling :

You think Ebox is hiding the truth? And tEbox doesn't want to tell the truth because it will, A) lose them money & customers B) create extra work by maybe fighting for the customer?

Wow. You make Ebox sound more evil than Bell.

Can it be?

Ever wonder why many of the incumbents' usage meters are so horribly inaccurate in their favour?

There's flaws in the meters based on the network architecture, and all the meters are subject to abuse - internal and external.

The whole system is flawed. Cable more so.

The incumbents are making a ton of money on it.

The government lets them.

Ebox is at their mercy, just like we are. Ebox is one of the better companies in the ISP landscape.

The truth isn't being hidden. It's just that very few give a shit. We live in a country of sheep, with a captured regulator and a corrupt government. Best advice: buy lube.

Mike
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by dillyhammer:

Ever wonder why many of the incumbents' usage meters are so horribly inaccurate in their favour?

Back when I was with Videotron, my Tomato usage was usually within 100MB of what Videotron was reporting with Tomato being ahead most of the time. That's a ~0.3% discrepancy, usually in my favor.

PicklePicker
@videotron.ca

PicklePicker

Anon

said by InvalidError:

said by dillyhammer:

Back when I was with Videotron, my Tomato usage was usually within 100MB of what Videotron was reporting with Tomato being ahead most of the time. That's a ~0.3% discrepancy, usually in my favor.

That's been my experience too, but rather when I was away on a trip out of country I noticed something like 50-meg (forget the exact value) a day on the usage tracker. I'll have to check that again sometime. But yeah in a month you could rack up 1-gig of usage just for keeping your videotron modem on (and only the modem).

I haven't ever been charged for 1-gig extra before, nor would I accept it due to this. But it's been a long time since I last shut everything off for a couple of weeks straight. Things could have change since then. Something for me to check one day to see how things changed... if they did.