Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_

Re: Whole Home DVR...worth $75.00??

said by Rob_:

I heard a TIVO you can get a remote (UHF) control and plug it in to the bedroom's set and allow guests to watch whatever via a cable card and I can ditch this crappy 8240 box. In HD. TIVO won't tune in analog tv however, Cox does the digital simulcasting so that shouldn't be the problem.

forget TIVO crapola. out the door its more expensive. you still have the cablecard and digital gateway[now known as advanced tv, basically its money for nothing]

my cox dvr doesn't record infomercials unlike that tivo garbage.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by dvd536:

said by Rob_:

I heard a TIVO you can get a remote (UHF) control and plug it in to the bedroom's set and allow guests to watch whatever via a cable card and I can ditch this crappy 8240 box. In HD. TIVO won't tune in analog tv however, Cox does the digital simulcasting so that shouldn't be the problem.

forget TIVO crapola. out the door its more expensive. you still have the cablecard and digital gateway[now known as advanced tv, basically its money for nothing]

Cox gave me both the cablecard and tuning adapter (and NO digital gateway) for just $2 per month and it has yet to record infomercials. Not sure where that came from. I don't have any advanced tv box or anything.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to dvd536

to dvd536
my TiVo was 10x better than the whole home garbage that Cox installed. i have the "newer" system, but it still sucks compared to the TiVo setup i was using previously.

I will be taking these junk boxes back and happily going back to TiVo within the next week.

The only advantage i can see with the cox setup is MoCa is built in, unlike my old TiVo Premiere 320GB (i changed the HD out for a 1TB about a year ago, and it's been flawless ever since)
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Is there anything I can get for my downstairs TV that can plug in to the HDMI port and accept a cable card? Not a computer but, say a box? It can get the TV Guide info from WIFI? Surly there IS something like that out there.

-Rob

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley

said by Rob_:

Is there anything I can get for my downstairs TV that can plug in to the HDMI port and accept a cable card? Not a computer but, say a box? It can get the TV Guide info from WIFI? Surly there IS something like that out there.

see my earlier post. Not quite a single box, but you can do it with an HD Homerun and a Raspberry Pi

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

You might also look at

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -102-002

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

said by Optimus2357:

You might also look at

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -102-002

Unless there are very new drivers that I am not aware of, Intel HD 2000/3000/4000 Graphics (GPUs) cannot display Cox's Copy Protected H.264 Plus Pak channels using Windows Media Center.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

I think new drivers were released in December to correct just that issue, but please correct me if I am wrong.

»downloadmirror.intel.com ··· otes.pdf
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to djdanska

to djdanska
said by djdanska:

said by dvd536:

said by Rob_:

Cox gave me both the cablecard and tuning adapter (and NO digital gateway) for just $2 per month and it has yet to record infomercials. Not sure where that came from. I don't have any advanced tv box or anything.

I just pay $35 a month (that includes the cable cards) and get the only channels I need (all in HD too) on my TiVo. I'm phasing those out though. Sick beard doesn't record any commercials at all, so no need for fast forward or skip buttons.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to Optimus2357

Premium Member

to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

I think new drivers were released in December to correct just that issue, but please correct me if I am wrong.

»downloadmirror.intel.com ··· otes.pdf

I am running those drivers and they did not fix the issue for me. Anyone else?

Product Detected - Intel Processor Graphics 3000
Current Driver Installed - 9.17.10.2932

Driver Package version 15.28.12.64.2932 (9.17.10.2932) for Windows 7

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Well the release notes seem to state that issue is corrected, but I don't have any of the hardware yet to test. I was still in the planning phase of my build. So I will take your word on it. So there is no driver different between the Intel 3000 and the Intel 4000?

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Which particular fix listed are you referring to in the Release Notes?

Mine is a 2nd Generation Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge with Intel HD Graphics 3000. The drivers are the same for 3rd Gen however.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

I was refering to two seperate items, but your right, its not clear.

"Resolved issue where video output is missing content when transcoding certain video files"

"Fixed protected content playback issues for new Windows 8 Store video players like Netflix*."

Is the issue that the drivers ignore the copy-protection flags while processing H.264? Also, most markets still use MPEG-2 right?

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

I am not sure what the issue is exactly, there is Audio but no Video.
Error Message:
"Display driver error" and "does not support playback of protected content"

No, I believe every market is now H.264 (MPEG4-Part 10) for the Plus Pak.

Most any other Graphics card works fine. Even past Intel mobile graphics, like my old laptop work.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

I am just going by what google tells me, so take it with a grain of salt but:

»www.silicondust.com/foru ··· 7#p83737

"Also, if you are using embedded graphics of Intel CPU, you can't watch these channels if they are copy protected. Intel graphics drivers do not support copy-protection and H.264 at the same time."

And looking at the next post

"Surprisingly, my new windows 8 laptop with hd4000 ( i7-3517U )-plays the protected h.264 content from cox just fine... windows 7 on the same machine using the latest drivers from intel does not and usually results in a blank (black)..."

So I think the fix ""Fixed protected content playback issues for new Windows 8 Store video players like Netflix*." fixed the issue, but only for Windows 8. However the data is not clear. Would need a dual boot with Windows 7 and 8, same hardware, to really isolate. If nothing else though, its a pretty good hypothesis.