spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fatbuoy
join:2013-02-24
Markham, ON

fatbuoy

[Cable] Markham TS service? [16th & McCowan]

I pay outrageous prices for my rogers internet and have been looking for a cheaper alternative. I live near the intersection of 16th and McCowan in Markham and was wondering if anyone knows how the Teksavvy cable service is up here (fast, reliable)? I posted my postal code on the TS website and was told I was qualified for their fastest cable option (Cable 28) but want to hear from personal experiences.

- Thanks.
bdoyledimou
join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou

i am at 16th and Cornell Rouge Blvd --

i am using Cable 28 with a Thompson 676 Docsis 3 modem. I have been with Tek for 22 months.

Results are currently swinging wildly from really good to not so good.
Here is my current speed test results.

but 2 hours ago

and yesterday

but then two days ago

this is a REALLY recent situation -- prior to these swings pretty constant at 32Mbps --

your mileage may vary.
fatbuoy
Markham, ON

fatbuoy

Wow, that was very helpful and informative. Those results look not so bad (quite promising). I guess it varies according to local internet usage in the area?

I don't see Thompson 676 on their approved modems list. I only see Thompson DCM 475. Is the 676 better than other modems for any particular reason?
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

4 edits

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by fatbuoy:

Wow, that was very helpful and informative. Those results look not so bad (quite promising). I guess it varies according to local internet usage in the area?

More specifically, it's based on time of day when congestion is at its worst: the bad speedtest results posted are in the evening.

17.59 Mbps is at 5:35 p.m. est (Sunday)

14.83 Mbps is at 11:16 p.m. est (Saturday)

41.69 is at 7:24 a.m. (Saturday)

30.29 is at 2:21 p.m. (Sunday)

So, if you happen to be on the same node, it looks like you can plan on evenings full of congestion--at least, on weekends (on weekdays, I would expect issues after 8:30 p.m.).
Webslinger

Webslinger to bdoyledimou

Premium Member

to bdoyledimou
said by bdoyledimou:

Results are currently swinging wildly

I suggest the pattern you presented is not random: you're experiencing congestion in the evenings on weekends (and probably in the evenings on weekdays too--but I would expect the problem to start a bit later on weekdays).

MarkhamAnon
@teksavvy.com

MarkhamAnon to fatbuoy

Anon

to fatbuoy
Yeah same here.. i'm on the Cable18 package (Up to 18 Mbps Down / 512 Kbps Up), recently it's been fluctuating, and for the past 2 days, I've been getting disconnections, it only last for a few seconds, but it's very annoying..
Jiggs
join:2013-01-07

Jiggs to fatbuoy

to fatbuoy
I have a cable18 package and live in a same neighborhood. Overall the speeds are fine BUT the peak hrs (mostly after 8 pm and until 10 or 11 pm) the speeds are terrible. It drops to 5 to 6 Mbps...I am working with the tech support on this issue in the direct forum...
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

Pretty similar situation on the McNicoll POI for me
bdoyledimou
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou to fatbuoy

to fatbuoy
Sorry i had a typo there with the modem -- it is the DCM476 not 676.

Like i said the speed issues are really recent -- last 72 hours -- prior to that any time of say would be about 32 Mbps.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by bdoyledimou:

Like i said the speed issues are really recent -- last 72 hours -- prior to that any time of say would be about 32 Mbps.

The results still represent congestion if you're just seeing this problem recently.
Run speed tests every night around 9:15 p.m. to see if you're consistently getting poor results.
fatbuoy
Markham, ON

fatbuoy

Cool. I was pretty much expecting slow times on evenings. During peak times, are you still able to watch youtube smoothly or do you have to wait for the video to buffer? I want to comprehend what "14.83 mbps" feels like. I'm sure it's fast enough for most webpage activities?

Either way, thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going with TS nonetheless. Rogers fee is just way too outlandish! I will try to update when I switch to TS.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by fatbuoy:

Cool. I was pretty much expecting slow times on evenings. During peak times, are you still able to watch youtube smoothly or do you have to wait for the video to buffer?

»[Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?
bdoyledimou
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou to Webslinger

to Webslinger
i personally have never had a Yahoo streaming issue -- even now with my 14Mbps speed
i just watched the Game of Throws trailer at 720p no buffering.

»chart.googleapis.com/cha ··· =550x300
FearlesTech
join:2010-09-21
Markham, ON

FearlesTech to fatbuoy

to fatbuoy
I am near intersection 16th and Warden with Cable 28.
In the recent months, I noticed that it gets quite congested in the evenings -- getting between 6 to 12 Mb/s down and consistently 1 Mb/s up.
Webslinger
Premium Member

1 edit

Webslinger to bdoyledimou

Premium Member

to bdoyledimou
said by bdoyledimou:

i personally have never had a Yahoo streaming issue -- even now with my 14Mbps speed
i just watched the Game of Throws trailer at 720p no buffering.

You mean Youtube, right? It's not Yahoo that's in question. It's Youtube. And the cache servers for it are run by Teksavvy.

I can't say I've had any serious issues with Youtube, but I don't spend lots of time watching stuff on Youtube at all. I think some people are reporting issues at 1080p in that thread I linked. I'm also not on the same POI that you folks are on, so my experiences won't matter.