Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Re: Electric Bill

Thanks a lot, everyone. I need to scramble to build up my cash flow again. I pumped a lot into this place.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

In most homes I purchased I took advantage of a free home energy audit. Most of the reports listed the improvements that I could make, the budgetary cost and the payback period. You can use that information to determine whether or not to make any or all of the recommended improvements. One of the best investments unless your home is already well insulated is additional insulation. This is the best time to do a thermal camera inspection. It will show the areas where you are losing the most heat.

In my current home, which has an energy star rating, I asked the power company for anything I could do to reduce energy consumption. They had already done energy audits on other homes in my neighborhood. Without inspecting my home they recommended that I add a radiant barrier and offered to pay 50% of the cost through a government program.

I added the radiant barrier and lowered my electric bill from 20% to 25% the five summer months. The best way to describe the results of adding a radiant barrier is adding to the comfort level by making it seem like the sky is overcast and raining every day even when the sky is clear and the roof is being struck by direct sunlight. It was like I added another 12,000 BTU capacity to each central air conditioner. In your area additional insulation might do the same thing.

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica

Premium Member

I contacted the electric company, and they said a Home Energy Audit would be $350-$650, with them providing a $250 rebate if we choose one of their vendors.

Where do you get free audits?

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

Some states have legislation mandating "free" energy audits. In those cases they're not actually altogether free, utility ratepayers cover the associated costs through a small billing line energy conservation/ renewable energy surcharge that's tacked on.

Call your public utilities commission to see what is available to you.
Mr Matt
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to Antonica

to Antonica
Check with your states Public Service Commission. Find out what the rules are regarding charging for home energy audits. You will find the toll free number of the PSC in the front of your telephone directory or the Pennsylvania State website. The reason the local power company serving my home, offered to pay for part of the radiant barrier installation, was at the time the EPA was offering financial incentive to conserve energy.

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica

Premium Member

Our state website has information on programs and other things that have been suggested here. Thank you. I'll continue to follow up with them to see what else we can do.
Mr Matt
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Check this video on YouTube showing a thermal energy audit:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· gTbkA8MA

This video is more complete:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· XE0qsmjg

Here is a demonstration of what was learned using a thermal imaging camera:

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· GHU&NR=1