spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsoled

join:2013-02-24

iPad app access to set top boxes, remote control functions

I have another router behind the Verizon router (in its DMZ) and have disabled wireless on the Verizon router.

Though my iPad can see the set top boxes (ping etc.), the Verizon FIOS iOS application says it can't connect to them. I guess the application wants me to connect to the Verizon router for it to be able to connect to the STB's.

I was hoping for some sort of workaround, even if it means to use a different option to get the secondary router in there. I'm even willing to use option 8 with the back end router setup. What is not desirable is to eliminate my router and use only Verizon's. I run Tomato and there is quite a bit of functionality I would lose, not to mention the amount of reconfiguration I would need to do.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by jsoled:

I have another router behind the Verizon router (in its DMZ) and have disabled wireless on the Verizon router.

Though my iPad can see the set top boxes (ping etc.), the Verizon FIOS iOS application says it can't connect to them. I guess the application wants me to connect to the Verizon router for it to be able to connect to the STB's.

I was hoping for some sort of workaround, even if it means to use a different option to get the secondary router in there. I'm even willing to use option 8 with the back end router setup. What is not desirable is to eliminate my router and use only Verizon's. I run Tomato and there is quite a bit of functionality I would lose, not to mention the amount of reconfiguration I would need to do.

I believe the app won't connect because the STB and the iPad are not in the same subnet. The STB is in the subnet of the Verizon router but apparently you iPad connects into the subnet of second router running you WiFi.

You could also run the Verizon router WiFi and see if your iPad will connect to it directly and if the app works. If it does, that may be your solution. You could lock WiFi to only the MAC address of the iPad if you're worried about security. I doubt Verizon would change the app for this -- people can't even get them to fix bugs in the apps.

jsoled

said by PJL:

I believe the app won't connect because the STB and the iPad are not in the same subnet.

that's what I suspected too but was hoping for a workaround. There's an awful lot of configuration I'd need to duplicate and lost functionality in the Verizon router if I start using its wireless and not the wireless on my secondary router.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to jsoled
What do you mean by behind? LAN-to-WAN or LAN-to-LAN?

Try the LAN-to-LAN configuration. Both routers will be in the same subnet (tradeoffs options #3 or #7).
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

jsoled

I guess mine would be configuration 3, LAN to WAN with DMZ. But DMZ isn't port forwarding through to second router, so I am re-thinking what configuration to use.

Or I could just cancel FIOS TV and remove the Verizon router. The family is not too pleased thus far.