CmmTch

join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to mhn8d16

Re: Question about my dad's IPDSL install

said by mhn8d16:

He ordered 12mbps IPDSL service on an upgrade promo for his DSL. It was explained to him this would still be lineshare service, and the nature of change in service was describe to him that his broadband would now be fiber-based up to a "node" (which he extrapolated as possibly one of the AT&T boxes you see at various places around his area along the road or whatever), and then would continue to his residence on copper.

From the above statement it appears the IPDSL will be VDSL from a VRAD (the node that can provide Uverse HSIA, IPTV, VOIP or all three and is fiber fed from a Central Office) in most cases the VRAD is much closer to the customer allowing for higher DSL speeds. There will be a cross connect made from the copper where the dial tone appears in the SAI to the "in" port of the line card in the VRAD combining d/t and DSL on the same cable pair to the house.

mhn8d16

join:2007-02-17
Independence, MO
There is an apparent malfunction in communication between myself and my dad. Probably because his mobile phone service is AT&T, and his landline service is centurylink, his 62 year-old brain confuses what he practically has defined in his brain as two telephones he's gotta a pay for (He just upgraded to a smart-phone a few months back). He also made no mention of television, which I thought was relevant, but really isn't because he's had directv since 1993 and used the original equipment non-stop until he got an HDTV a few years ago.

Aggravatingly, because of the way he approaches things like simplifying television operation for my mom (disabled) so that she doesn't have to understand why broadcast channels locally have unrelated channel numbers with DirecTV - basically, his receiver has a 65ft HDMI cable going to his television, but his television input is always set to coax in a "use TV remote to go to channel 38, then use directv remote to channel surf". Complete with printed instructions on each.

Returning from tangent

Where I flopped was forgetting who his wireline carrier is, because the last time I even looked was 2010 or 2011. Called him back today and asked again, it is Centurylink, the speed offered was 50mbps (this sounds wrong, but I haven't looked at their website), and required shipping a new router only.

My previous statement about the hardware down the street is still correct, but I guess it amounts to different carrier providing same stuff, and I suppose centurylink arguably got necessary wired infrastructure when they pickled up sprint's wireline stuff.

I still have no clue if the service has IPTV, but I'm too lazy to check

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by mhn8d16:

I still have no clue if the service has IPTV, but I'm too lazy to check

CenturyLink does have IPTV service; it is called, "Prism". AFAIK, they do not have IPDSL. My Mother had CL, briefly, in Corvallis. It was VDSL with ATM and PPPoE. I failed to document the setup while I was there, and my sister shut down the account a couple of weeks later, after Mom died.

CenturyLink apparently has a lot of Internet-only VDSL; not so much IPTV.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to mhn8d16
said by mhn8d16:

There is an apparent malfunction in communication between myself and my dad. Probably because his mobile phone service is AT&T, and his landline service is centurylink, his 62 year-old brain confuses what he practically has defined in his brain as two telephones he's gotta a pay for (He just upgraded to a smart-phone a few months back).

Why would seeing two telephones (mobile and landline) he's gotta a pay for be inaccurate? Or are you saying he views the internet connection as a third phone to pay for?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by StillLearn:

Why would seeing two telephones (mobile and landline) he's gotta a pay for be inaccurate? Or are you saying he views the internet connection as a third phone to pay for?

Based on the OP, father equated telephone with landline. Assumed landline was AT&T (both "lines").

Reality was, father has one landline phone (CenturyLink), and one wireless phone (AT&T).

Well, that is my best guess; based on subsequent post from the OP.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum