Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

Getting a Kenwood TM-D710a for my 99 Camaro

So I looking at getting a Kenwood TM-710a for my car (1999 Camaro T-Top) which is gonna be an interesting install.

Looking for suggestions on alternative places to buy everything and antenna suggestions.

Looking at getting the radio itself from theantennafarm.com since they offer the option I need for a total of $594.95.

Im also gonna get the GPS-710 for $129.95 from here.
»www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010385

Now the antenna is the thing I'm looking for true help on, It gonna have to be a mag mount and the only place it can go is on the small section of the T-Bar roof.

I'm I have found a DIAMOND MR77 from here »www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-005819

But I'm definitely open to suggestion on alternatives.

Here is a picture of the roof of my Camaro, The antenna that is there already is for a Cell phone cradle amp (850/1900), Ill end up moving it over towards the passenger side more and put the new one on the driver side but the wire will be run the same way.

Obviously this is not an ideal install so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for any help.
--
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 w/4 Cores @ 3.41Ghz(OC) | 4Gb DDR3 Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600 (RTM) | Windstream DSL 12m (14.9m Sync)/766k

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
New Britain, CT
kudos:1

I am not sure how you are planning to mount the radio it's self. That radio appears to be remote trunk mountable, if it were my car I would mount the radio in the trunk and the antenna on the trunk lid. Then it would be a nice short run from the antenna to the radio, plus you could go with a different style antenna like a lip mount. Then run the power and control cables to the front of the vehicle for the head and mic. My vehicle is set up where the mic is easily hidden and removable well as the head and the radio is in the trunk for theft reasons. Just my thoughts.

Barovelli

join:2002-04-03
reply to Napsterbater

I used a panavise bracket for an ipod in a '95 Firebird. Think I still have the bracket.

I didn't have the Firebird long enough (it was bought for my son..)to permanently install a rig but I thought about either A: replacing the stock AM/FM Cassette with a single DIN radio and and using the pocket space or B: put a control head on the panavise.

Windsheild mount the control head high over the rearview mirror?

I ended up getting a Monte Carlo and put an Icom 208 under the upper console - »www.barovelli.com/projects/car/m···adio.htm

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..
reply to Sr Tech

The D710 is a remote mount radio, but the microphone plugs into the radio deck itself, not the control head, so if remote-mounting the radio someplace other than under the seat, I would use a CAT5 cable with a coupler to extend the mic cable. This is what I did with mine at work, and it seems to work OK. Also, the speaker is in the radio deck, so an external speaker with an extension cable is needed as well.

Nice radio, but some things could be changed, IMO...
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Sr Tech

said by Sr Tech:

I am not sure how you are planning to mount the radio it's self. That radio appears to be remote trunk mountable, if it were my car I would mount the radio in the trunk and the antenna on the trunk lid.

At first I was thinking about mounting it under the drivers seat, but now I think gonna try and fit it in a hole in my trunk.

As for the antenna, studying the roof more closely i realised its fiberglass with metal support/roll protection underneath it (surprised the cellular antenna sticks so good) so any suggestions on a lip mount and antenna for it?

VHF is gonna be the primary band and being the FM antenna on the other side is about 30" wanna keep it in that neighbourhood if possible.
--
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 w/4 Cores @ 3.41Ghz(OC) | 4Gb DDR3 Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600 (RTM) | Windstream DSL 12m (14.9m Sync)/766k

Sr Tech
Premium
New Britain, CT

said by Napsterbater:

said by Sr Tech:

I am not sure how you are planning to mount the radio it's self. That radio appears to be remote trunk mountable, if it were my car I would mount the radio in the trunk and the antenna on the trunk lid.

At first I was thinking about mounting it under the drivers seat, but now I think gonna try and fit it in a hole in my trunk.

As for the antenna, studying the roof more closely i realised its fiberglass with metal support/roll protection underneath it (surprised the cellular antenna sticks so good) so any suggestions on a lip mount and antenna for it?

VHF is gonna be the primary band and being the FM antenna on the other side is about 30" wanna keep it in that neighbourhood if possible.

Fyi: If you go in the trunk just be careful of not screwing into the gas tank.

There are many nice lip mounts (NMO or PO) style then choose your antenna of choice.

Some examples:
Universal Radio:

»www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm.html

I usually find maxrads a bit cheaper than some of the other endors where you have to buy both parts separately.
»www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i···=264_267

I am not sure what you are looking to spend or maybe find what you want and google for a cheap price.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

Although this car has a nice flat area between the trunk and seats I need to keep that area open for the T-Tops and other cargo.

This is the hole I'm looking to put it in, nothing behind it to worry about.

This is the trunk lid.

If I go with a trunk lid mount I'm gonna run the cable up near the hinge at the top and bring it inside there to keep it out of the way when i open the trunk.

I had my eye on a Diamond K600M
»www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000196

and maybe a Diamond NR-770HB
»www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000063
--

Sr Tech
Premium
New Britain, CT

I would make sure you can adjust the angle on the mount (I think you can) so the antenna cosmetically looks straight. As for running the cable you should be ok long as it doesn't get pinched.

Just some thoughts (from when I used to install equipment in police vehicles). That hole where you want to put the radio, you sure it may not get too damp in that area during wet days? If that is the only spot I would try to get the radio high as possible in the hole. You may have to fabricate a bracket so it does not bounce or vibrate too much.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

said by Sr Tech:

Just some thoughts (from when I used to install equipment in police vehicles). That hole where you want to put the radio, you sure it may not get too damp in that area during wet days? If that is the only spot I would try to get the radio high as possible in the hole. You may have to fabricate a bracket so it does not bounce or vibrate too much.

There is a cabin vent in there towards the bottom facing the left side but that area stays dry, the back side of that hump is part of the wheel well area sorta but its partitioned by a plastic shroud a ways away to protect the gas tank filler neck which is also well clear of that panel.

The interior panel is missing (I think the previous owner had a sub woofer in that hole) thus that area stays exposed.
--

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

Been very busy thus lack of post.

For the antenna I did decide on a NMO Truck L Bracket (»www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000651) with a DIAMOND C101NMO (»www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003635) and a Comet-NCG CA-2X4SRNMO (»www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011146)

I have it all installed except for the suction dash mount from Lido, still waiting on it to get here.

The GPS-18 is was very simple to install and looks like a Kenwood accessory really, APRS is working pretty good in this really hilly area.

I do have to work on a little grounding to hopefully clean up the RFI but its not that bad, and I need to find someone with a SWR to check the antenna/mount.

Ill try and get a pic later of the RF decks mounting location.
--