spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WebCobbler

@verizon.net

FiOS Service Unacceptable

Long story short: I had an internet problem that I call VZ on. After about 2 hours on the phone, they could not determine the fault. So they decided to ship me a new router. I thought, ok, np. A new router is fine. They always have shipped me a newer version of my current router every time in the past.

I currently have a Rev. F router. The rep said that they would ship a version p2 , or 2.0 version of my current F router...mind you

When it arrived, I was astonished that it was not only a 2 generation behind Rev. D router, but it was visibly scratched and damaged. Literally, one ethernet port was broken in two, and the antenna was broken at it's base.

This has never happened to me before, so I was very Pissed off.

The router did not look like it was even Refurbished, mind a New router that a usually have received in the past.

I called a rep, and explained. She said that I will not be charged for the damaged router etc, and I will send it back on Monday. I hope that that will be they case. I told her that id this happens again, I will lash out and contact the proper people, etc.

So I ask: Has this happened to anyone in the past? BTW, regarding STBs, this has Never happened to me as well. I always received a New STB when mine crashed.

texastown

join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX

I received a damaged set top box last year. It worked but was dirty, missing one of the rubber feet on the bottom and beat up. Like yours, obviously not "refurbished" or even wiped off from the previous user.
I cleaned it and used it for a while but eventually took it to our local Verizon store and exchanged it for a new, unused one. Maybe you can exchange yours locally as well, at least that way you can see what they are giving you.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to WebCobbler

I believe Verizon uses a third-party vendor for equipment distribution. Maybe they should find a different vendor!

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA

said by PJL:

I believe Verizon uses a third-party vendor for equipment distribution. Maybe they should find a different vendor!

I believe your right, they have a separate company that handles the incoming and outgoing (and maybe even the warehouse) for the equipment.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to texastown

said by texastown:

I received a damaged set top box last year. It worked but was dirty, missing one of the rubber feet on the bottom and beat up. Like yours, obviously not "refurbished" or even wiped off from the previous user.
I cleaned it and used it for a while but eventually took it to our local Verizon store and exchanged it for a new, unused one. Maybe you can exchange yours locally as well, at least that way you can see what they are giving you.

My replacement DVR had some scuff marks and dirt on the top. It was clearly not cleaned. They should really find another vendor.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

jr461

join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ
reply to WebCobbler

I have only received one replacement router and it appeared new, however, I have never received what appeared to be a new replacement STB.

In fact, I recently swapped a non-DVR HD box for another DVR and figured I'd try my local store first (instant gratification!). Would you believe the only model they had was the 6416?!

After a total of about 90 minutes on the phone over 2 calls, they sent me a 7216 (clearly used) but with a 500gb HD.

Plan to kill a large block of time whenever calling CS. To me this is unacceptable. And most of the time is on hold after reaching an agent. And switching to a supervisor just makes the delay worse!

grecord

join:2002-01-06
Germantown, MD
reply to WebCobbler

I have always received new or well refurbished equipment(routers/DVRs) However I have found that support is often very tedious and time consuming.

My last incident required four sessions of over an hour each, unnecessary replacement of cable cards and 3/4 people that simply were unable to resolve the issue hence wasting my time. Turned out that the whole issue was that the M-cards weren't properly authorized from their end.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to WebCobbler

WebCobbler,

Same thing happened to me 6 months ago. Router failed and they sent a used, marked, dirty, replacement router. It looks like the returns are just sent out to the next customer without even looking at them. I did ask for another replacement and this time, and it was in [just] acceptable condition. Good luck if you may think you would be getting a newer router if you've been with VZ for 4-5 years.
--
VHO8

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to WebCobbler

I've always received new routers from Verizon since I got FiOS in 2007. I think I have five of them now, gathering dust in my closet. I've always used my own routers which are much better than the routers that Verizon provides.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to WebCobbler

I was impressed with how efficient the process was for replacing my dead STB, but the unit I received as replacement was dirty with greasy finger prints all over it.

missesED

join:2013-01-23
Catonsville, MD
reply to WebCobbler

I had a RevE that needed to be replaced and was sent a RevF. It was pretty beat up and was packed loose in a box with the wrong size power supply. I called and the rep apologized and did some kind of 'back-door' order (her words) where she was able to bypass the refurb nonsense and order a brand new router. I received a factory fresh RevI and all is well.

WebCobbler

@verizon.net

missesED,

I wish I was in your position. The 2 reps that I spoke to hung up on me, literally. They did not mention a "backdoor" order that they could do, etc.

Plus you received a gigabit rev. I router, not even a rev. F

IMO, you were very lucky.

I have had FiOS for 6 years, and I always received brand new routers, the firs time. Plus they were all newer models, never the same. Same for STBs when mine died.

I have Never had this poor of customer service since I first signed up. I hope this will never happen again, since this was the very first time this happened to me. IF it does, I will def demand retribution.

JoeyD

@verizon.net

Re: FiOS [Customer] Service Unacceptable

said by WebCobbler :

I have Never had this poor of customer service since I first signed up. I hope this will never happen again, since this was the very first time this happened to me. IF it does, I will def demand retribution.

And if you step over the line when you are demanding customer service, you may actually get retribution for poor character and abuse. Your account may "accidentally" be changed or charged.

Correct usage: Retribution is the act of taking revenge. If you pull a prank on someone, expect retribution.

You may be thinking of "compensation".

Fixed the title. FiOS service is acceptable. Customer service sometimes isn't.
Expand your moderator at work

WebCobbler

@verizon.net
reply to JoeyD

Re: FiOS [Customer] Service Unacceptable

JoeyD,

I guess you got me there. FiOS service is acceptable. I like the TV clarity compared to what I had. Internet especially, compared to my former ISP when i left several years ago. Nowadays I am not so sure, bc of DOCSIS 3.0.

My former service provider may have improved their TV and internet service in 6+ years since i left. I do not know. But i am not that concerned that I would switch back, despite them having H2 HD, which FiOS does not have. ... and an internet speed that is considerably cheaper at the same speed than the fastest FiOS speed. However, despite that, FiOS wins because IMO because of the no data cap.

But anyhow, It's the Customer Service that is poo.

missesED

Catonsville, MD
reply to missesED

Re: FiOS Service Unacceptable

said by missesED:

I had a RevE that needed to be replaced and was sent a RevF. It was pretty beat up and was packed loose in a box with the wrong size power supply. I called and the rep apologized and did some kind of 'back-door' order (her words) where she was able to bypass the refurb nonsense and order a brand new router. I received a factory fresh RevI and all is well.

BTW, I dealt exclusively with VZW tech support with my router issues, and they were the ones who were able to place the order directly for the RevI. I never spoke with any of the reg customer svc folks through all of this.

WebCobbler

@verizon.net

I do or have VZ Wireless cell phone. Would this matter? Or do you think they are better to call first, rather than the FiOS CSRs?

missesED

Catonsville, MD

said by WebCobbler :

I do or have VZ Wireless cell phone. Would this matter? Or do you think they are better to call first, rather than the FiOS CSRs?

I just meant fios tech support, nothing to do with wireless. Sorry for the confusion.

mbpress

join:2001-05-15
Plano, TX
reply to WebCobbler

I've had similar experiences - getting old equipment. I discovered that there is a Verizon Fios store nearby and it's worth the effort to go in (and wait at times) and *ask* for what you want.

I've called the store directly ahead of time to ask if they have ___ in the store (50/50 shot on how technical a person you'll talk to if you want a specific router).

So, if there is a store nearby, I'd take that route.

Your mileage may vary.