Search similar:

uniqs

blitz231
@rr.com

blitz231

Anon

Six Strikes148; Anti-Piracy Scheme Starts Monday

»torrentfreak.com/six-str ··· -130223/

The much-discussed U.S. six strikes anti-piracy scheme is expected to go live on Monday. The start date hasn’t been announced officially by the CCI but a source close to the scheme confirmed the plans. During the coming months millions of BitTorrent users will be actively monitored by copyright holders. After repeated warnings, Internet subscribers risk a heavy reduction in download speeds and temporary browsing restrictions.

pirateDuring the summer of 2011 the MPAA and RIAA teamed up with five major Internet providers in the United States, announcing their a plan to warn and “punish” BitTorrent pirates.

The parties launched the Center for Copyright Information (CCI) and agreed on a system through which Internet account holders will be warned if their connections are used to commit copyright infringement. After five or six warnings ISPs may then take a variety of repressive measures.

Initially the first ISPs were expected to send out the first “copyright alerts” by the end of 2011, but for reasons unknown this deadline silently passed, as did the revised July 2012 and the December 2012 start dates.

But it appears that the wait is over now.

TorrentFreak learned from a source close to CCI that the system is currently scheduled to launch early next week, and we’re not the only ones. Another sign of the start of the program is that a few days ago the CCI launched their new website. This is where recipients of the copyright alerts will be directed to.

The website explains how the copyright alert system works and lists places where people can download and stream music and movies legally. It also lists details about the appeals process for people who want to dispute one of the warnings.

Copyright Alert promo

Unfortunately the new website does not give an overview of the punishments or mitigation measures that Internet subscribers will be subjected to.

We previously learned that AT&T will block users’ access to some of the most frequently visited websites on the Internet, until they complete a copyright course. Verizon will slow down the connection speeds of repeated pirates, and Time Warner Cable will temporarily interrupt people’s ability to browse the Internet.

It’s expected that the two remaining providers, Cablevison and Comcast, will take similar measures. None of the ISPs will permanently disconnect repeat infringers as part of the plan.

Of course, there are plenty of ways for people to prevent being monitored by copyright holders. BitTorrent proxies and VPN services are the most likely option here. These services replace a user’s home IP-address with one provided by the proxy service, making it impossible for tracking companies to identify who is doing the file-sharing.

Also, those who download through Usenet, cyberlockers or other non-P2P services can not be monitored by the copyright alert system at all.

These circumvention options are not news to the copyright holders and the ISPs. CCI Executive Director Jill Lesser previously said that the main purpose of the alerts is to educate the public, and that hardcore pirates are not the target of the system.

TorrentFreak asked the CCI if it had any idea how many alerts would be sent out in the first few months of the scheme, but the organization didn’t want to make any predictions. We will find out more in the weeks to come. The same is true for the backdoor lawsuit option that was baked into the plan.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

You know the people who do get warnings should be punished by receiving a strict cap for number of months unless they get warning again. And keep other folks cap free.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

My ISP issues IP addresses out of the 173.0.0.0/8 block. So do Mediacom and Verizon (at the least). So what happens if I torrent (my ISP is not participating in the "CAS"), and MAFIAA agents fatfinger the complaint, with a typo in the second, or third octet, such that a warning goes to Mediacom, or Verizon about my piracy?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Someone else gets "educated."

/M

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria to blitz231

to blitz231
quote:
Also, those who download through Usenet can not be monitored by the copyright alert system at all.

Always viewed the whole "torrent" scene, as being designed for Kids and the instant gratification crowd. Openly exposing your IP should have been enough of a deterrent to prevent most from even fooling around with torrents. The more "mature" Usenet crowd has always practiced a more secure method for "getting the goods". And it never included, opening up your IP to any type of monitoring. With the average cost of servers running $10 a month......I betcha there's gonna be a run to learn all about Usenet, ...now

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to blitz231

Premium Member

to blitz231
Usenet is not gonna be main thing mainly because things are even harder on there now, hidden names and passwords when it comes to the real goods every day, sure regular joe can still find stuff and run into some spam but I dont see usenet to be mainstream like torrents ever.

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria

said by kilrathi:

Usenet is not gonna be main thing mainly because things are even harder on there now, hidden names and passwords when it comes to the real goods every day, sure regular joe can still find stuff and run into some spam but I dont see usenet to be mainstream like torrents ever.

Main thing ? Usenet's been around long before there was a WWW or even the word.... browser.

"harder on there now, hidden names and passwords" *chuckles* *chuckles* *chuckles*

"I dont see usenet to be mainstream like torrents ever" = And I see
it, exactly the opposite. Torrents will never match the speed and
certainly..... NEVER match the retention.

On the basis of content alone, if you combined every known torrent in one bucket.....you'd still need another couple hundred thousand more to even come close to what's available to Usenet users. And that content is available 24/7 , and we don't need no stankin' seeders....ever

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

u missing the point of what mainstream is, its not about whats better or faster, its about the fact most people your average joe use torrents and will give up on usenet after 5 minutes, THATS WHAT MAINSTREAM IS.

You dont have to teach me about usenet btw... lol

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal

n00bs i just leech my topsites 24/7

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to kilrathi

Premium Member

to kilrathi
said by kilrathi:

Especially with places like NewzBin and the like being taken off the Internet. I remember using things like NZB files to download stuff back in the day. I also remember PAR and PAR2 files too to repair possibly bad downloads.

Do I do that kind of stuff now? Nope, not at all. I get my content legally these days.

pipedream
@af.mil

pipedream to Elyria

Anon

to Elyria
said by Elyria:

said by kilrathi:

Main thing ? Usenet's been around long before there was a WWW or even the word.... browser.

"harder on there now, hidden names and passwords" *chuckles* *chuckles* *chuckles*

"I dont see usenet to be mainstream like torrents ever" = And I see
it, exactly the opposite. Torrents will never match the speed and
certainly..... NEVER match the retention.

On the basis of content alone, if you combined every known torrent in one bucket.....you'd still need another couple hundred thousand more to even come close to what's available to Usenet users. And that content is available 24/7 , and we don't need no stankin' seeders....ever

I don't want to get in a debate about torrent vs usenet. I love usenet, used it for nearly 20 years but it can't hold a candle to private torrenting with seedboxes. I have never seen such collections of movies/tv shows. I can't began to tell you all the stuff that it is available (to give an idea, on a TV show private torrent site called BTN there is just about every TV series with every season that's ever been released on DVD/BD in 5/6 different formats from avi/xvid to 720p to 1080p to untouched BD isos). And as far as security, the seedbox is in the swarm not my home computer. The seedbox is leased from a datacenter on the other side of the world (for about the same cost as a usenet provider) and it downloads/uploads at 1gbps so those 20-30GB movies/tv shows download in mere minutes to my seedbox. Anyway, my point is not all bit-torrent is the same. There is the public/mass idiots that torrent using the pirate bay and other public trackers with their home ip address for easy picking and then there is private torrenting with seedboxes. Two comepletely different things.

dean corso
human.exe
join:2007-09-07

dean corso to blitz231

to blitz231
Who's going to be the first to post one of these accusatory notices from TW here? Interested to see what sort of drivel is contained therein.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to pipedream

MVM

to pipedream
So I should pay an offshore hosting company for TV shows, instead of the producers of the show. And here, all this time I thought it was about getting this stuff free.

If the objective of CAS is to stop the revenue drain, it will fail. But I am thinking it isn't about success, but having a legal cudgel to beat the snot out of casual pirates. The ISPs won't take direct action; but that does not preclude the rights holders from legal action. And ISP customers who agree to the mitigation efforts are actually admitting piracy; which won't go well for them when the subpoenas start to flow.

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to blitz231

Premium Member

to blitz231
If you saying up to date with usenet, nothing really beats it, you just have to be in few private and public site circles when it comes to "camoflauged" posts and passwords. But again, regular folk will never do that and thus it will never be mainstream or even talked about that much.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to blitz231

to blitz231
I have no problems with this, at all.

I would like to see all these casual pirates booted out.

The little leeching ingrates who download their 720p scene shit for every movie released need to go. Piracy needs to return to being the realm of the elite only.