share rss forum feed

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to TherapyChick

Re: Water heater rusty / leaking

No, there is a leak that has caused the problems from looking at the pics you have posted. I have a gas water heater that is over 25 years old without any of that nasty look that yours has.

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

1 recommendation

reply to mityfowl

I had a plumber come out yesterday, that pipe was leaking under the insulation. (a fine mist leak, but steady)

He replaced the pipe, cleaned up what he could of the rust.

It was $107.00.

I plan on moving from this house in the next 2 years, so if it'll last a bit long I'll be good.

He said to get a new 50 gallon (I think it was 50 gallons anyway) Bradford White one would be about $975 which included installation, so if it breaks down completely then I'll do that obviously.
--
Therapy Chicks

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to TherapyChick

A $107 to roll a truck and fix pipe!

That's great.

Good luck.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to TherapyChick

The top of your tank with the pressure release valve looks just like my aunt's GE water heater.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by Subaru:

The top of your tank with the pressure release valve looks just like my aunt's GE water heater.

Most likely made by the same company, Watts Water technologies.

--
February is National Cherry Month

makaze
Premium
join:2004-02-23
USA
reply to TherapyChick

said by TherapyChick:

I had a plumber come out yesterday, that pipe was leaking under the insulation. (a fine mist leak, but steady)

He replaced the pipe, cleaned up what he could of the rust.

It was $107.00.

I plan on moving from this house in the next 2 years, so if it'll last a bit long I'll be good.

He said to get a new 50 gallon (I think it was 50 gallons anyway) Bradford White one would be about $975 which included installation, so if it breaks down completely then I'll do that obviously.

hope you have a good drain and a water sensor on your floor

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Coma

Would it say it on the heater?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

I should be identified on a metal tag around the valve stem of the T&P valve.

--
February is National Cherry Month

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Coma:

I should be identified on a metal tag around the valve stem of the T&P valve.

I will check the next time I stop by

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC
reply to mityfowl

A friend said he could install a water heater, he's done a few before and feels confident doing it.

Anyone know about this heater:
Whirlpool Energy Smart 50-Gallon 12-Year Electric Water Heater
Item #: 345709 | Model #: ES50R123-45D

»www.lowes.com/pd_345709-135-ES50···cetInfo=
--
Therapy Chicks

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29

Unless you a planning on switching to electric that won't work.

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC

Right, I meant to send the gas one on the link, was looking at a couple, but yes, it's gas, not electric.
--
Therapy Chicks

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

This one. »www.lowes.com/pd_333595-135-ND50···rating|1

Last water heater I had to purchase was a Kenmore 80 gallon electric 12 year warranty unit.

Think the thermostat failed just after first year. When they replaced it I just purchased a new service contract for another year. Cheaper than just paying for service call. About 1 week before my contract ended the tank started leaking.

So in short not happy with Kenmore.

On positive note had no issues with Sears sending someone out to fix and replace tank. Did have to pay $35 for permit when they replaced the tank.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to TherapyChick

I took a picture of it today..

I never seen the yellow warning tag that's melted to the part that screws in to the tank for the T&P valve.. nevertheless I was not going to try and open it..

This water heater was made 1/2003 as far as I know the rod has never been changed on it..

Speaking of that how long is the rod anyways because about 5-6 ft above it is the floor joists for the upstairs and if it's long it could be an issue getting it out.

*edit

Doh forgot about exhaust vent for melting things

--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

OH my That flue looks partially if not completely blocked. I sure hope they have a working CO detector because they're gonna need it!

/M

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

the furnace and hot water tie into the same flue.. Dumb question but how would you really know if it's blocked? The water heater at the time was not on but I haven't seen any changes since it last started looking like this maybe 4 years ago?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

said by Subaru:

Dumb question but how would you really know if it's blocked?

The pipe insulation appears to be melted close to the vent stack.

--
March is National Noodle Month

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8
reply to Subaru

While it may not be blocked any more, at one time it definitely was. Check it YESTERDAY. I'd clean it up and replace that insulation once this is done to make sure any new damage is obvious.

The melted pipe insulation and plastic tag shows a large amount of the hot combustion gasses were not going up the flue but instead out into the room. All that corrosion says the humidity from it condensed on those parts (combustion condensate is very acidic). In normal operation, not enough gas escapes to do any of that.

/M

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Coma

It must of happened awhile ago because nothing further has changed.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to mackey

Ok so I will change that, but should I change the T&P valve as well? heck you can't rotate the little lever that you flip up to test it because it's so badly caked around inside..

It's impossible to change the rod on this water heater..

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Subaru:

Ok so I will change that, but should I change the T&P valve as well?

Regardless whether or not you decide to replace the T&P valve, you should definitely attach a pipe to the exit of the T&P valve that directs any hot water escaping from the water heater safely towards the floor. I don't think it is required that the T&P output is attached to a drain but left as is it could spray hot water into someones face while standing next to it.

The output of my T&P valve (water heater installed by previous owner) pointed straight at an electric outlet (non-GFCI) without faceplate. It almost looked as if someone deliberately tried to make it as dangerous as possible (all three safety issues have been fixed properly).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by leibold:

said by Subaru:

Ok so I will change that, but should I change the T&P valve as well?

Regardless whether or not you decide to replace the T&P valve, you should definitely attach a pipe to the exit of the T&P valve that directs any hot water escaping from the water heater safely towards the floor. I don't think it is required that the T&P output is attached to a drain but left as is it could spray hot water into someones face while standing next to it.

The output of my T&P valve (water heater installed by previous owner) pointed straight at an electric outlet (non-GFCI) without faceplate. It almost looked as if someone deliberately tried to make it as dangerous as possible (all three safety issues have been fixed properly).

yeah this has to be one of the dumbest T&P exits I've ever seen.. I can't see how a plumber would do this? It has no drain near by as it's a basement dirt floor.

But yeah the last place I would want to be is at the outlet of that valve.. and it faces the basement door at that
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!