join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Subaru

Re: Water heater rusty / leaking

said by Subaru:

Ok so I will change that, but should I change the T&P valve as well?

Regardless whether or not you decide to replace the T&P valve, you should definitely attach a pipe to the exit of the T&P valve that directs any hot water escaping from the water heater safely towards the floor. I don't think it is required that the T&P output is attached to a drain but left as is it could spray hot water into someones face while standing next to it.

The output of my T&P valve (water heater installed by previous owner) pointed straight at an electric outlet (non-GFCI) without faceplate. It almost looked as if someone deliberately tried to make it as dangerous as possible (all three safety issues have been fixed properly).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
said by leibold:

said by Subaru:

Ok so I will change that, but should I change the T&P valve as well?

Regardless whether or not you decide to replace the T&P valve, you should definitely attach a pipe to the exit of the T&P valve that directs any hot water escaping from the water heater safely towards the floor. I don't think it is required that the T&P output is attached to a drain but left as is it could spray hot water into someones face while standing next to it.

The output of my T&P valve (water heater installed by previous owner) pointed straight at an electric outlet (non-GFCI) without faceplate. It almost looked as if someone deliberately tried to make it as dangerous as possible (all three safety issues have been fixed properly).

yeah this has to be one of the dumbest T&P exits I've ever seen.. I can't see how a plumber would do this? It has no drain near by as it's a basement dirt floor.

But yeah the last place I would want to be is at the outlet of that valve.. and it faces the basement door at that
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!