uniqs
bdoyledimou
join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou to fatbuoy

to fatbuoy

Re: [Cable] Markham TS service? [16th & McCowan]

i am at 16th and Cornell Rouge Blvd --

i am using Cable 28 with a Thompson 676 Docsis 3 modem. I have been with Tek for 22 months.

Results are currently swinging wildly from really good to not so good.
Here is my current speed test results.

but 2 hours ago

and yesterday

but then two days ago

this is a REALLY recent situation -- prior to these swings pretty constant at 32Mbps --

your mileage may vary.
fatbuoy
join:2013-02-24
Markham, ON

fatbuoy

Wow, that was very helpful and informative. Those results look not so bad (quite promising). I guess it varies according to local internet usage in the area?

I don't see Thompson 676 on their approved modems list. I only see Thompson DCM 475. Is the 676 better than other modems for any particular reason?
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

4 edits

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by fatbuoy:

Wow, that was very helpful and informative. Those results look not so bad (quite promising). I guess it varies according to local internet usage in the area?

More specifically, it's based on time of day when congestion is at its worst: the bad speedtest results posted are in the evening.

17.59 Mbps is at 5:35 p.m. est (Sunday)

14.83 Mbps is at 11:16 p.m. est (Saturday)

41.69 is at 7:24 a.m. (Saturday)

30.29 is at 2:21 p.m. (Sunday)

So, if you happen to be on the same node, it looks like you can plan on evenings full of congestion--at least, on weekends (on weekdays, I would expect issues after 8:30 p.m.).
Webslinger

Webslinger to bdoyledimou

Premium Member

to bdoyledimou
said by bdoyledimou:

Results are currently swinging wildly

I suggest the pattern you presented is not random: you're experiencing congestion in the evenings on weekends (and probably in the evenings on weekdays too--but I would expect the problem to start a bit later on weekdays).