LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly

Re: what to do with roots (in my sewer line)

Depends where you're at, I guess...

Anything from the curb to the house is the homeowner's responsibility, in my experience.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Pauly

MVM

to Pauly
Ownership and responsibility for sewer repair varies widely between different municipalities.
In our city the homeowner is responsible for the sewer pipe up to the city easement (which extends from the street into the lot). In other nearby cities the homeowners responsibility can be as little as the edge of the house foundation to as far as the tie-in at the sewer line in the street. In some places the rules are quite complex with the result that one homeowner gets his sewer pipe cleaned out (or repaired when necessary) by the city and his nextdoor neighbor has to hire a company at his own expense.

Sewer repairs can be 1000s even if they only involve digging up the front lawn. This quickly becomes 10s of thousands if the sewer repair includes digging up concrete drive ways, sidewalks and city streets. It can become astronomical when the city determines that the homeowner should have been aware of a long standing sewer problem and didn't fix it (with the result of extensive soil contamination).

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by leibold:

In some places the rules are quite complex with the result that one homeowner gets his sewer pipe cleaned out (or repaired when necessary) by the city

I've never heard of such thing. Not that it can't happen, but according to my experience cities' responsibility is usually restricted to the main lines, or goes no further than the curb.