All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dano
@shawcable.net

dano

Anon

[AB] Why is shaw trying to save me money?

Hi,

I live in Edmonton. I currenly have High Speed Internet and Home Phone Basic from shaw. It costs me 89.95 a month.

Shaw has been calling me this month trying to get me to switch to High Speed 10, Personal TV, and Home Phone Basic for 70 a month for three months - then I can cancel the Personal TV and and my bill will end up being $10 less at 79.95 a month.

They did say an installer would have to come out and split the three services into three different cables?

That's sounds really good - which is why I'm suspicious - why would shaw be calling me, trying to save me money?

Has anyone else gone through this or have any idea of why they want to do this?

Thanks

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

shaw.ca is down at the moment, but if I remember correctly, BB10 is cheaper than high-speed internet,

Combined with a promo on a tripple-play-bundle, maybe.

Installer would come out to install a digital terminal, but splitting the services into different cables doesn't make sense...

Shaw has been trying to get people off the older High-Speed Lite-Speed and Extreme services and move to their Broadband packages, or employees are calling people with only two services and looking at your account with current promos they came up with that. Those would be my answers, if there is a differnet/better one, no idea.

someshawguy
@shawcable.net

someshawguy to dano

Anon

to dano
it looks like someone is trying to dupe you. the promotion is only for new customers only. since you aren't a new customer, you will be charged regular rate.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen to dano

to dano
They may be getting you as a "new customer" because you have no TV services, and are doing the promotion to try and get you to keep the TV.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP to dano

to dano
said by dano :

Shaw has been calling me this month trying to get me to switch to High Speed 10, Personal TV, and Home Phone Basic for 70 a month for three months - then I can cancel the Personal TV and and my bill will end up being $10 less at 79.95 a month.

Were you told that this is a promotional price, or is that the new regular price? My guess is that it's a promotional price and while you might save for a few months but after that you will see a higher price than before.

But that's just a guess, based on how most cable/phone companies work. To be honest I have totally given up on trying to figure out Shaw's pricing structure. I'm on a grandfathered plan than I'm sure is only 2 or so years old and it sounds like if I even blink in another direction it will cost me a lot more.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

He said for a few months, three...

dano
@terago.net

dano to dano

Anon

to dano
Yes, I believe it's the promotional bundle price. $70 for three months, then $95 after that.

So they tell me I can just cancel after 3 months, and then my bill will be $80 (instead of the current $90) and I will have 10Mbps (instead of the current 7.5Mbps).

It sounds great - that's probably why I'm apprehensive, I have this nagging feeling they're trying to scam me.

I think I'm going to ask them to just make my bill $80.

Thanks for the replies.
dazman09
join:2010-10-28

dazman09

Its a marketing game they like to play. They know theres a number of customers, perhaps 50% or higher, who will take the deal thinking "oh yea, I'll get TV, and my bill will be lower". Completely missing or downplaying the '3-months' fine print. They might think "oh yea, I'll call back in 3 months, and fix it" but most will end up forgetting or putting it off. So Shaw ends up getting an extra $15/mo from 50%+ of the people the sucker in to signing up.
Pretty sleazy and skeezy practice if you ask me. All tied to performance based compensation. "You increase revenues by x amount of dollars, and you'll get a nice bonus, get at it"

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

There is a percentage that;

A) Forget to call back and cancel the new service, they don't want or like it
B) Don't call back and cancel the new service because they want the exact service have
C) Callback and change to something they have but want something a little different.
D) Callback and cancel the new changes completely

All are good for Shaw, for different reasons.

There are definately are some sleazy offerings by some agents though, "We're sorry you had to call in and reset your voicemail password, what I can do for your trouble is give you MovieCentral 50% off for 3 months if you would like to try it" Or whatever the current high-commission promo is.