J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

[Tech] idea's for a new camera?

I haven't played with an SLR in a long time. It used to be all that I used back in the day of 35mm. Between using ISA 50 and 1600 film, just to try out differences. Things have changed and I never got into the DSLR. Basically something not too expensive. Doubtful my lenses would be any use on this DSLR.

I don't have a huge budget: so lower MP is fine, as long as CMOS is good. I can pick up whatever lenses I need as I go along in the future. So regular lens to start off is fine.

Canon most likely, eh?

I'm going to purchase from film again for my rig downstair and see how it works. Though I do need to find the flash for it.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

Re: [Cam] idea's for a new camera?

need a ball park figure 500? 1000? 1500?

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by mromero:

need a ball park figure 500? 1000? 1500?

$500 is a good point for me.

which
@tmodns.net

which to J E F F4

Anon

to J E F F4
if you had nikon the old lenses will mount and work partially. old canon wont. a new camera can be got with the 18 - 300 or 18-200 lens. that solves the biggest problem with digitals which is dust on the sensor. with a small digital sensor and 1.5 crop the 18 300 becomes 27 - 450.

some folks like the pentaxes that have stabilization in the camera so you can use old pentax lenses.

nowadays video in a slr is popular

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
what do you plan to take photos of?

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by mromero:

what do you plan to take photos of?

people (my kids especially) -- and in particular settings like the park
nature shots and shots up a the lake (Lake Huron) when I'm up there and some sports events (baseball) if I can sneak it in. I might see if I can take some night sky shots as well, such as the moon. Again, likely only when I'm away from the city, though I would like to take some night shots of Niagara Falls and Toronto.

I'd build on getting lens. And sorry for using 35mm equivalent, but:

28mm wide angle
55mm (standard shots)
40-300mm zoom
500mm telephoto.

I just going on with the types of lenses I had before, all of them were screw on so no chance they'd work with anything...especially since everything was manual.

I think I should start on a lower end budget, so a used high quality camera with lower MP is fine, as long as sensor is top notch. No plans on producing anything over 10 by 8. I can do used lenses as well, but need direction on quality. I once had this 800mm lens which worked...but you basically need 800 speed film just to take outside shots, with the aperture complete open. Focusing was a bitch too, and 1/15 time minimum has hard. (1/30 would have made good pictures)

Am I okay with a 6MP higher end DSLR? What brand should I be going for? And are most lenses compatible with each other?

which
@tmodns.net

which to J E F F4

Anon

to J E F F4
please can u say what brand n lenses you still have. some digitals take screw lenses with an adapter.

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
this is an old thread, but whenever recommending cameras to people i recommend spending money on the lens.
it doesn't mean that you have to spend lots of money, but the kit lens is probably not the right choice.
canon makes a single focal length 1.8/35 mm lens that is just amazing: $300 (when i bought it).
the camera body itself won't be as critical (usually).
i upgrade camera bodies and keep the same lenses a long long time.

start by thinking thru the types of shots (wide, mid or tele) that you are *most* interested in initially.
then build out your kit from there.

eg: i started with a smashing 24-70/2.8 lens and have had that for the 10d, 20d, 40d, 1d2n, 7d, 1d4 camera bodies.
it's *just* about time to replace it.
after the 24-70, it was the 70-200/2.8 (superb lens) and the 15/2.8 (a stunning lens).

build slow with goals and targets.