how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Steve40th

join:2013-02-24
Goose Creek, SC

Uverse 18mbs, what the heck is it?

My wife signed up for UVERSE TV, 18mbs internet and phone. Internet is slow as heck. We have N wifi laptops and desktops. Its best speedtest has been 12mbs for the past 8 months, and this is with the ethernet cable hooked up to my SAGERNP5160, which also has a Intel ultimate n 6300 AGN wifi.
Three conversations with techs, and they say I do not have DSL, that the TV signal is separate from the TV and the phone has no effect on my internet.
So, the third tech came today, fixed a bunch of little minor stuff. But speed is good in the morning, crap at night.
Please enlighten me on this crap.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
Your more than likely limited to 25 or 32Mbps of total bandwidth. When multiple HD streams for the TV are in use, it can cut into what is available for Internet.
»www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp···bGYmXCR2
Breakdown and ToS found there.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Steve40th
Every wired and wireless device, including TVs, can take a bit of bandwidth.

If you want a true speed test, run it from a PC wired directly to the RG, with all STB's turned off, wireless turned off, and all other wired connections unplugged. Then go to speedtest.net and run their test.

That will show you your "true" speed.

Steve40th

join:2013-02-24
Goose Creek, SC
After the technician was here for 3 hours fixing all kinds of connections, INID? etc we go 17.23 with everything off and connected via Ethernet to my laptop.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Then you're good - that sounds about right for the 18Mb tier.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to Steve40th
HD tv takes more that "bit" considering every iNid is on a 25 Meg profile.

Uverse is a sad service.

crash58

join:2012-05-22
Clarksville, TN
reply to Forosnai
I think that chart may be outdated. I ran into similar issues and was told multiple times by support that yes tv and phone will play apart on your internet speed but you are guaranteed to get 80% of the speed you pay for at all times regardless of what other services you were running. I guess they would make a point to not put you on an internet plan would offer less speeds with everything running.