uniqs
share rss forum feed

Larhleolynx

join:2012-11-22
Huntsville, ON

I need some advice about my internet service

Click for full size
Hi there,

I've been with my ISP now well over 6 years, and in that time we've never had a problem until we moved at the beginning of September.
Since we moved, every day from about 12 noon until 12 midnight our connection is terrible, with intermittent good patches. On the rare occasion there is no problem all day.

I've contacted the ISP many times in this regard and they've never had a solution to the problem. Their best answer I've been given so far is that they are getting new servers soon, and it should fix the problem. But I have no idea what this means. I've also been given at least three different dates for when this maintenance is going to occur, one was the 14th of Feb, another was the end of Feb, and the last one was the 14th of March.

Typically when I phone them they get me to use their websites speedtest page, which miraculously tells me my connection is perfect every time. But if I run speedtest.net all the gremlins come out.

What could possibly be going on here, and how should I go about fixing this problem? I'd really appreciate anyone's input into this I'll attach a picture of a speedtest.net run. I should note that its 6meg DSL or is supposed to be!

Larhleolynx

Huntsville, ON

I'd like to add some additional information. I pay for a 6meg down 800k up DSL connection.

A friend of mine suggested trying VPN to see if anything was different. Using his VPN my connection is reporting 6meg down 2meg up, with no hellish spikes. Running a speedtest right after without the VPN on a different PC I get the terrible speeds again.

Can someone explain what would cause this?

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

Maybe the ethernet port on your motherboard is pretty much dead ? Have you tried installing a new network card into your pc ? They are quite affordable.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to Larhleolynx

What ISP?

Larhleolynx

Huntsville, ON
reply to Larhleolynx

The ISP is Primus Telecommunications Canada

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON
reply to Larhleolynx

Have you tried your pc with another internet connection to see if it is your ethernet port ? If not take the pc to someone's house and try their internet connection. Also again you could try installing a network card to see if that solves the problem. It is not costly either to do this.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Larhleolynx

So to clarify, start up a VPN tunnel to whatever service your friend is with, you get full 6meg speedtest? And web surfing and downloading is fine as well?

If you're on DSL, try seeing if a relative, friend or neighbour has DSL with Bell or another TPIA like TekSavvy or Start, and get them to log in with their PPPoE credentials at your home (on a PC connected directly to the modem). This would help to see if it is an issue with ISP routing or a line issue. Sounds like routing if a VPN fixes the problem.

Larhleolynx

Huntsville, ON
reply to Larhleolynx

I will see if my friend will lend me his Bell account for this evening. The problem is, catching the elusive beast. The mornings are typically hassle free, its once it goes past noon, it can tend to get bad. Typically around 4-6PM EDT it goes from spotty to terrible, then its complete ass until around midnight. However some days the problem doesn't manifest, but those are rare.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Try and see if you can use your friend's Bell account and just wait until the problem rears its ugly head and try out the Bell login. If you experience the same speed issues, then it is likely an issue with the line or wiring. If you don't experience the issue with the Bell login, the issue lies squarely with Primus.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to Larhleolynx

You just found ther answer you're looking for. Switch isp's and presto full speed again.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to Larhleolynx

I've been with Primus for eight years now (on GAS), and only recently have they had congestion issues with their edge routers, but nothing as drastic as you're seeing.

I get some packet loss in the evenings but my speeds are always ~7Mbps.

Do you try reconnecting, it may take multiple attempts, to get on a less saturated link from Bell's LAC?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Larhleolynx

This makes no sense, how does a shitty DSL connection magically resolve itself when you use a VPN, your shitty DSL, still has to carry the VPN connection.

Eh

@electronicbox.net

It does make sense if there's throttling at play here, if the VPN is unrestricted, SSL traffic isn't being throttled.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

This makes no sense, how does a shitty DSL connection magically resolve itself when you use a VPN, your shitty DSL, still has to carry the VPN connection.

There could be nothing wrong with the actual DSL line Bell is providing, in which case the issue lies with Primus' own network segment going to the internet.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

But the VPN still has to travel the same routes.

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal

You know... it is possible to single out services and protocols when they throttle.

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues

Only to a degree.
The VPN's first couple hops will be the same (your modem, first ISP hop, and 1 or two more). Beyond that you will route to the VPN provider. From there you are no longer subject to your ISP's routing as you'll be using the VPN providers route.

Doesn't "feel" like that here though. I'd certainly try asking someone to bring over a laptop and hook it right into the modem and see what they get.