dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fallenturtle
join:2013-02-24

fallenturtle

[Connectivity] How long will DOCSIS 2.0 modems work?

My mother needs a new cable modem and it needs to be one with wireless built in because she gets confused with too many devices involved.

I was going to get the moto SBG6580 but the DOCSIS 2 variant is much cheaper. If blazing fast speeds aren't a big deal for her, is it worth the savings or will it be likely that D2 modems won't work with Comcast HSI at some point in the next 2 years?

Thanks.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

2 recommendations

ExoticFish

Comcast already announced that D2 modems need to be replaced. The exact date, unknown. They are being phased out though.

Modem/Wireless router combos will not offer the same performance as two separate units, not to mention flexibility.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to fallenturtle

MVM

to fallenturtle
I agree with ExotciFish. I would not invest in a D2 modem, as it would need to be replaced too quickly to be a good deal.

Absolutely stay away from wireless gateways...more trouble than they are worth.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to fallenturtle

to fallenturtle
They'll be phased out but still work on Performance and below.
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· docsis3/

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

Chris 313 to fallenturtle

Premium Member

to fallenturtle
Forget anything D2, especially wireless gateways. PeteC2 is right on the money. As is ExoticFish.

This is a great D3 modem, one that you can just install and forget about once working: »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· le+modem

After that, find a decent router and set it up for her and sounds like she'll be golden.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

1 recommendation

Ultibeam to fallenturtle

to fallenturtle
The story is Docsis 1.1 modems are terminated per this announcement: »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem. It's recommended, not required, to get a D3 modem.

D3 modems are great but D2 modems will continue to work. The SBG901 looks to be a fine Wireless Gateway for the price. You may want to do this when you get it to solve a rebooting issue:"Go to: 192.168.0.1 -> admin, "motorola" -> Firewall -> turn off "IP Flood Detection" -> Apply."

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

2 recommendations

PeteC2

MVM

kevinm5 I respectfully disagree. A D2 modem may be ok for the short term, but that may not be all that long at all...it is no bargain to buy a D2 modem now and find yourself replacing it within a year or so, which is likely the case.

Even less so, would I recommend an outdated 11G, D2, wireless gateway such as the SBG901.

Even at the lower tiers, having bonded channels with D3 will provide better consistency when traffic is heavy and no wireless gateways are good substitutes for a decent stand alone router.

Buying old equipment late in its life span is great for those who need to get rid of inventory, but in a technology that is continually evolving such as broadband, buying "old" may be cheap, but it never represents good value.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

2 recommendations

Ripper to fallenturtle

Premium Member

to fallenturtle
These are the modems you should be looking at,
»mynewmodem.comcast.net/

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

2 recommendations

jlivingood to fallenturtle

Premium Member

to fallenturtle
We are actively replacing D2.0 modems and D1.1 modems - they are end of life. Make the long-term purchase - buy a D3.0 modem.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

2 recommendations

PeteC2 to fallenturtle

MVM

to fallenturtle
said by fallenturtle:

My mother needs a new cable modem and it needs to be one with wireless built in because she gets confused with too many devices involved.

BTW fallenturtle, my mom is 83 years old, lives on her own over an hour away me, and counts on me to help her with any internet issues.

She has cable (Metrocast, not Comcast) Internet/phone/tv. She rents her eMTA from the cable co. and I set her up with a Linksys 2500 router. She uses a laptop and a tablet.

In the last 2+ years, with several storm related power outages, I've only had to make one "on site" fix (not that I don't visit frequently!), and talked her through re-booting the router maybe twice.

When it comes to broadband access, my mom gets confused when things don't work properly...which is why I do not have her on a wireless gateway. The "extra box" with rock-solid reliability is less confusing than one box that is less reliable would be.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to Ripper

Premium Member

to Ripper
said by Ripper:

»mynewmodem.comcast.net/

Good advice. And to add to it, if you really want a set up and walk away experience, fallenturtle, you should look first at the models that do 8x4 instead of 4x4 like the 6120/6121.

The Zoom model J I posted in my link is 8x4 and so is the Motorola 6141. Just to name 2 on that list.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to PeteC2

Anon

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

kevinm5 I respectfully disagree. A D2 modem may be ok for the short term, but that may not be all that long at all...it is no bargain to buy a D2 modem now and find yourself replacing it within a year or so, which is likely the case.

Even less so, would I recommend an outdated 11G, D2, wireless gateway such as the SBG901.

Even at the lower tiers, having bonded channels with D3 will provide better consistency when traffic is heavy and no wireless gateways are good substitutes for a decent stand alone router.

Buying old equipment late in its life span is great for those who need to get rid of inventory, but in a technology that is continually evolving such as broadband, buying "old" may be cheap, but it never represents good value.

And I have 50% D3 and 50% D2 modems in my tote given to me by the Comcast warehouse each week, make your own mind up on what that means, but in my book D2 is not going away anytime soon. Comcast still milks along DCT2000's video side so they will not be dropping the D2 HSI equipment anytime soon since they own a ton of it still. Simple facts of economics in a corporate environment - Greed motivates all.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

YukonHawk to Ripper

to Ripper
said by Ripper:

»mynewmodem.comcast.net/

Just a side question. I currently have a Cisco DPC3008 which is not ready for prime time for native IPv6 (Running a tunnel) . Currently getting 8 down stream channels and 2 of the 4 for upstream. I know Comcast is working on Native IPv6 for the Cisco modem, guess I am just too impatient.

If I asked nicely do you think Comcast would swap out my DPC3008 for a Zoom J1? Or should I leave well enough alone.? The DPC has been great. I just figured it would be nice to have native IPv6. Thanks..

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by YukonHawk:

said by Ripper:

»mynewmodem.comcast.net/

Just a side question. I currently have a Cisco DPC3008 which is not ready for prime time for native IPv6 (Running a tunnel) . Currently getting 8 down stream channels and 2 of the 4 for upstream. I know Comcast is working on Native IPv6 for the Cisco modem, guess I am just too impatient.

If I asked nicely do you think Comcast would swap out my DPC3008 for a Zoom J1? Or should I leave well enough alone.? The DPC has been great. I just figured it would be nice to have native IPv6. Thanks..

I would leave well enough alone and just wait. IPv6 is a part of D3 spec and will come to all D3 modems eventually. If it's not already in your area, give it 6 months and see what happens. By the end of the year or before. Everyone should have D3 and IPv6.

Look at me, I just got the D3 upgrade by itself in December. No sign of IPv6 for me yet. But in the meantime by either March through May, I'll have gotten the 50/10 upgrade and need to upgrade my router to a GB model and one that does IPv6. I'll check then.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I'll sit tight for now.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by YukonHawk:

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I'll sit tight for now.

You're welcome. It's funny, cause they made an announcement that all ARRIS C4 CMTS were made IPv6 compatible. Obviously not here, even with a direct connect.