join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

No longer a member of the club!

Well, I am now no longer even indirectly an AT&T DSL customer.

For the past couple of weeks the circuit to the apartment management office (whose network I maintain, and I use their open WiFi hotspot as a backup circuit) had been dropping sync frequently and seldom getting better than ~500kbps downstream sync. It got so bad, that I had to temporarily install a spare cable modem in the apartment management office and let them share my Comcast connection (I fortunately had a spare IP address that could be used).

AT&T's eventual solution for the problem was to provision it as a U-verse IPDSL circuit. That happened on Friday, and this weekend I setup the NVG510 as the open WiFi hotspot, and we are now a U-verse customer. The NVG510 is a piss poor substitute for the Netopia 3347, but at least the circuit is stable again and it is syncing again at the max rates (even if the downstream SN Margin and Line Attenuation are just barely acceptable).

Broadband Status
Line State Up
Broadband Connection Up
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 3005
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 509
Modulation ADSL2+
Data Path Interleaved

Downstream and Upstream Statistics
Downstream Upstream
SN Margin (dB) 6.7 16.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 51.0 33.1
Output Power(dBm) 17.8 7.1

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by NetFixer:

... at least the circuit is stable again and it is syncing again at the max rates (even if the downstream SN Margin and Line Attenuation are just barely acceptable).

Maybe because of ADSL2+?

When I had "at&t Yahoo! HSI Pro" on a 9,156 foot loop, the Siemens SpeedStream 4100 would sync at 3008/512 with SNR=12.5 dB and Attenuation=51.5dB. After I switched to CLEC Sonic.net "Fusion" service, the ZTE 831II ZXDSL modem syncs at 5659/1112 on the same loop with SNR=6.8 dB and Attenuation=51.5 dB.

AT&T was the legacy ADSL service. Sonic.net "Fusion" is ADSL2+ (traditional ATM, not that fancy U-verse IPDSL).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by NormanS:

said by NetFixer:

... at least the circuit is stable again and it is syncing again at the max rates (even if the downstream SN Margin and Line Attenuation are just barely acceptable).

Maybe because of ADSL2+?

Possibly, and the root cause of the problem is likely related to the AT&T construction work in the area. There is a deep wide pit dug around the neighborhood cross box, and I suspect that was the cause of the sync problems for the old DSL circuit. It is also probably causing the poorer quality signal that is still present in the current U-verse circuit (but as you said, the ADSL2+ is a bit more tolerant of poor signals, so now it is at least marginally acceptable).

Prior to the recent problems, the standard ATM fed ADSL2 circuit typically looked like this:

ADSL Line State: Up
ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
ADSL Modulation: ADSL2
ADSL Data Path: Interleave
Datapump Version: DSP 5.2.2.0, HAL 5.2.2.0

Downstream Upstream
---------- ----------
SNR Margin: 13.00 9.20 dB
Line Attenuation: 46.00 30.00 dB
Output Power: 17.07 10.42 dB

ATM port status : Up
Rx data rate (bps) : 3549
Tx data rate (bps) : 376

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.