All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Chessie3
join:2011-02-02
united state

Chessie3

Re: High quality LMR cables.

Well unfortunately I already have a new LMR 600 cable on its way from Tesco. My partner had already decided he would like to encase it in a plastic piping we have use at tower site in the past to protect cables between the building and towers. I have no doubt he can make it waterproof but It would be a heck of a lot easier to throw the LMR cable on the shelf of unused parts and just order a LDF cable instead. So does anyone have a good source for a 70ft run or it? What size should I be looking for it appears it has little loss on 900mhz.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Since its on the way just use it.
bburley
join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

bburley to Chessie3

to Chessie3
The 100ft LMR-600 has been in use for over 5 years now without any issues. It runs mostly straight up the tower but does have some bends in it, nothing radical, no 90 degree corners.

I have heard that enclosing cables in pipe or conduit can also run the risk of being a moisture trap. I haven't done that so I can't comment on best practices to prevent or release moisture.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

said by bburley:

I have heard that enclosing cables in pipe or conduit can also run the risk of being a moisture trap.

Let them vent at top and bottom, natural air flow will keep excessive moisture from accumulating.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

We have one tower where the tower owner insisted on running conduit. The tower company thought that was a little odd but they had done it before. They said the same thing, leave it open at the top and bottom so water/moisture wouldn't build up. In our case we had gear at three different levels on the tower so the longest run of the conduit was 200' IIRC. YMMV

It was expensive as heck to run nearly 400' of conduit lol...

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

I cap the bottom vent with some Scotch Bright to keep critters out, and top vent shielded from rain entry, however way you want to do it.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Sounds like conduit is far more common than I thought. I could never justify the added cost. Talking out of my ass here but it seems like it would be cheaper to go with hardline than the expense of LMR plus conduit especially with the added labor.

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog to Hahausuck

MVM

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

Since its on the way just use it.

Agreed. If installed properly, you will have no issues.