Search similar:

uniqs

Confused
@comcast.net

Confused

Anon

[Speed] Lag Spikes in Online Gaming

Here is my issue:

I am an avid computer gamer. The latest kick has been on Call of Duty Black Ops 2. Over the past 2 weeks there have been increasing lag spikes that have now made the game unplayable. I have bought both a new modem (Surfboard SB6141) and wireless router (Asus RT-AC66U). My PC is fairly standard as far as specs go, 3.4 ghz processor, SSD drive, enough ram to choke a rhino, etc. I have contacted Comcast service several times but each time the issue does not seem apparent when I call. Even after upgrading service to 28 MB down and 5 MB upload speed, the lag spikes continue. I have tried every configuration I can think of on my end to no avail. The connection issue also persists in other online server-based games such as CounterStrike GO and Battlefield 3. Any suggestions or tips as to what might solve this latency issue so that I may go back to enjoying my beloved games would be greatly appreciated.
Renthal
join:2005-10-16
West Lafayette, IN

Renthal

Click for full size
It is highly likely you are wasting the extra money/month you are spending for the additional throughput. Unless you or family members are running high bandwidth applications while you are gaming, there is no need for the additional throughput. Online gaming is a low bandwidth activity, typically using less than 100 kilobits/second. I have posted a screenshot of my router's throughput activity during a recent gaming session.

A good gaming connection requires a stable connection. A stable connection will include low latency, low jitter, and no packet loss.

You should paste your cable modem signal statistics into the thread. Take a screen capture of modem signals when everything is working well, and then when you begin experiencing latency spikes, connect to the cable modem and check the signal statistics again. If there are differences, take a screen capture and post it as well.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

what are you using for that graph? doesnt look like MRTG or Cacti..

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to Confused

Premium Member

to Confused
are you using a wireless or ethernet connection?

depster
join:2001-06-07
Grand Rapids, MI

depster to NetDog

to NetDog
Looks like: »www.paessler.com/prtg
Renthal
join:2005-10-16
West Lafayette, IN

Renthal to NetDog

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

what are you using for that graph? doesnt look like MRTG or Cacti..

Yes, it is Paessler. My company monitors a lot of customer connections and I also monitor my personal connections with spare sensors.

There is a version on their website which allows one to graph 10 sensors for free.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to Confused

Premium Member

to Confused
When you experience lag issues, are you or is any other device sending data on your network?

Confused
@comcast.net

Confused to Renthal

Anon

to Renthal
Click for full size
I will check in tomorrow as I just downloaded the application mentioned, but so far here are the in/out speeds my connection is showing.
Confused

Confused to egeek84

Anon

to egeek84
I currently am wired directly to the wireless router, which is wired to the modem. While in a match here is a ping test I was receiving. »www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 6761.png
Confused

Confused to jlivingood

Anon

to jlivingood
No not that I am aware. My fiance does an online tech podcast so I make sure she isn't streaming any movies, downloads, or anything of the sort if I start getting lag.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423 to Confused

to Confused
said by Confused :

While in a match here is a ping test I was receiving. »www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 6761.png

That jitter is killing you. What're your signal levels? Head to »192.168.100.1 and click "Signal," then post a screen shot for us.

Confused
@comcast.net

Confused

Anon

Click for full size
Here is what I got this morning. Will check again tonight after work when I typically run into high latency.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

Dang, signal levels are absolutely fine. To eliminate the router as the cause, can you plug a PC directly into the modem and retest your ping and jitter?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by mario02423:

Dang, signal levels are absolutely fine.

FWIW, there is yet another important signal stat to take in to consideration when troubleshooting connectivity issues. It is called the uSNR (upstream Signal to Noise Ratio) and it is not, and can not be displayed by the modem. It can only be read from their end by them polling the local CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System). An end user can call in and ask a rep what this figure is. It should be at least 30 dB, and the higher the better. There may be a noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel / return path.
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to Confused

to Confused
I can't believe noone has asked the important question yet...
who do you game with?

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

FWIW, there is yet another important signal stat to take in to consideration when troubleshooting connectivity issues. It is called the uSNR (upstream Signal to Noise Ratio) and it is not, and can not be displayed by the modem. It can only be read from their end by them polling the local CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System).

Confused if you PM me your cable modem mac address I can take a look for you like EG requested if you haven't done so yet..