Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AZinOH

Re: Collection Agency...What Is Typical?

said by AZinOH:

said by CylonRed:

Since he is living with you - a collection agency will try and get you to agree to pay his bills if you answer their phone call. If you do this - then you are on the hook.

I believe Clark Howard has information on what they can and can't do - ClarkHoward.com

»www.clarkhoward.com/categories/c···gencies/

Not sure I understand the meaning of this. I won't agree to pay his bills. How could I possibly be held legally responsible just because I allow him to sleep here? Because I answer their phone call?

You can not be held legally responsible (unless you were foolish enough to agree), however, they will call you, even after he leaves your residence. Tell your nephew that under no circumstances may he use your address or home phone number.

One of my kids who was not even living with me at the time, gave a collection agency my phone number. It was a bear to finally get rid of them!

Not saying that your nephew shouldn't pay his just debts (he should, and frankly, if I had a wayward nephew staying with me, I would not shelter him if he was flat-out refusing to pay his debts), however, these collection agencies are almost without exception a sleazy bunch of barely-legal weasels with no concern over right and wrong.
--
Deeds, not words

They cannot call you if you write to them and tell them to cease communications. You (and/or your nephew) can sue THEM for $1,000 plus costs, if they continue to call.

FDCPA -
(c) CEASING COMMUNICATION. If a consumer notifies a debt collector in writing that the consumer refuses to pay a debt or that the consumer wishes the debt collector to cease further communication with the consumer, the debt collector shall not communicate further with the consumer with respect to such debt, except --

BTW - Not all debt collectors are weasels. Some are doing an honest job of collecting money that someone is trying to skip out on. All of us pay for deadbeats through higher costs.