spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dsl2u
join:2012-05-16
R3L3A1

dsl2u

Possible to forward to an INUM number?

Someone seemed to suggest on another forum that it may be possible to forward a VOIP number to an INUM number. If someone has been able to do this, can you please let us know? That would be very cool.
Expand your moderator at work

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev to dsl2u

Premium Member

to dsl2u

Re: Possible to forward to an INUM number?

said by dsl2u:

Someone seemed to suggest on another forum that it may be possible to forward a VOIP number to an INUM number. If someone has been able to do this, can you please let us know? That would be very cool.

I would think you just set up call forwarding with your provider except instead of entering a land line or mobile number, you enter your iNum number.

Not sure what more you are wanting to know...
dsl2u
R3L3A1

dsl2u

I was wondering if anyone has actually got it to work.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by dsl2u:

I was wondering if anyone has actually got it to work.

I've done this successfully with Callcentric, VoxOx and Localphone. For a provider that does not support iNum, but will forward to a SIP URI, you can send the call to 88351000xxxxxxx@sip.inum.net . A minor disadvantage of the URI method is that the caller will occasionally hear a message "Please wait while we attempt to connect your call."

For use (free) with Rebtel or Localphone numbers that are not yours:

If you have a contact for whom one of these numbers is a local call »www.rebtel.com/en/Get-He ··· Numbers/ , add them as a Contact in your Rebtel account. Add (and verify) your iNum (with any provider) to your Rebtel Phones list. Set that number as Preferred.

On the main My Rebtel page. showing your Contacts, click the new entry, as if you were going to edit it. On the screen that appears, you'll see "xxxxx can call you back - Find out how". Click that link and a screen will appear that shows a number local to your Contact. When they call that number (from the number in your Contact list), your iNum will ring. The call is free for you and you don't even need to ever fund the Rebtel account, if you don't use it for any real calls.

On Localphone, it's a little tougher -- you have to use it "backwards", setting up your contact's number as 'yours' and your iNum as the Contact. Set your Location to the contact's city and you'll see the number s/he should call in your Local Numbers. This backwards mode creates a possible security issue, if you don't completely trust the contacts. You can prevent them from making arbitrary calls, by setting a PIN that they don't know, but they could still call your other Contacts. For example, if both your brother and sister were on your account as both Phones and Contacts, they could call each other on your nickel! Also, although calls forwarded to iNum are free, Localphone won't allow them without a positive balance. So, you'll need to pay at least $5, even if you don't use Localphone for any paid calls. Balances do not expire.

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624 to Trev

Anon

to Trev
said by Trev:

I would think you just set up call forwarding with your provider except instead of entering a land line or mobile number, you enter your iNum number.

Exactly.

For example, if doing it with CallCentric, set up a Call Treatment to forward your CallCentric phone number (DID) to an iNum.

It does not matter at all which provider the iNum was obtained from.

On CallCentric, as with some other providers, iNum calls are technically considered "international" calls for routing purposes.

Therefore they must begin with the 011 code, for example:

011 883 5100 xxxx

Also, on the CallCentric dashboard area where calls can be enabled or blocked on a country-by-country basis, "iNum" must be enabled as a "country".

All of this pretty much is the same on Voip.MS too.
Gershom 1624

Gershom 1624

Anon

said by Gershom 1624 :

Therefore they must begin with the 011 code, for example:

011 883 5100 xxxx

Ah, should have been of course:
011 883 5100 xxxx xxxx

Here are some official iNum test numbers using the same format:

011 883 5100 0000 0091 which is an Echo test.
011 883 5100 0000 0093 which is a Caller ID test.
dsl2u
R3L3A1
·VMedia

dsl2u to Stewart

to Stewart
Rebtel: People keep on mentioning this company but after looking at their website it looks like they do only outgoing calling? Do they offer any virtual or DID numbers for free?

> All of this pretty much is the same on Voip.MS too.

Can you forward a Voip.ms number without incurring usage costs for the forwarded minutes? Some companies don't care and some do, charging whatever you use as if it was a normal incoming call.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

You are correct, Rebtel does not sell (or give away) any DIDs. However, you can take advantage of their DIDs (a small block in each of thousands of cities), to receive calls from specific contacts in those cities. If the call rings you via iNum, it's free to you. To your US or Canada mobile, $0.015/min. Even that can be "free", if you call back; see below.

Rebtel is the second-largest international provider, after Skype. They get a bad rap on this forum because their rates are high, usually double or triple those of the providers typically discussed here, sometimes even more. But we're not their target audience; they provide excellent quality, highly reliable, well supported and easy to use service for the mass market of mobile phone users.

Let's say that you live in Montreal and have a girlfriend in France. If you call her Orange mobile from your Rogers mobile, it will cost you $0.75/minute. You could buy Rogers' International Preferred Rate plan for $5/mo., and get a $0.35 rate. But if you sign up for Rebtel, you call a Montreal number and it rings her directly, at a rate of "only" $0.17. The knowledgeable folks here will say "Ouch!" -- my provider charges less than half that, some good ones are less than $0.03, and Betamax can be found at less than a penny. But, it gets better. She can call you on a local Paris number, at a rate of only $0.015. Then, they have a trick that AFAIK no other provider has -- if whoever receives the call immediately hangs up and calls back the number displayed, you are reconnected and the call is free (except for airtime on both ends). In this scenario, Rebtel gets their revenue from termination charges at each end of the call. But the real killer is the Rebtel mobile app. If you both have the app installed, the above is completely automated. You click her name in your Favorites list, as if making a normal call. Her phone rings, she answers and you talk. It costs you nothing, except airtime at both ends. And, it works (almost) every time.

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624 to dsl2u

Anon

to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

> All of this pretty much is the same on Voip.MS too.

Can you forward a Voip.ms number without incurring usage costs for the forwarded minutes?

Again, depends on WHERE you are forwarding to.

In general, if you forward to a SIP URI address, or to an iNum number, there's NO charge for that forwarding.

If you forward to a PSTN/POTS number (including cellphones and other provider DID's too) then of course you are billed PAYG (or it could count as minute usage if you have a flat-rate outbound plan which Voip.MS does not offer).

But keep in mind that of course you pay for the INBOUND call where this all began. On Voip.MS calls to your phone number (DID) are billed PAYG or they offer flat-rate inbound plans.
dsl2u
R3L3A1

dsl2u to Stewart

to Stewart
I never understand why people don't just give wifi devices to others in other countries so they can talk for free on Skype. As soon as its more than a few pennies a minute its really going to add up. Might as well buy the poor guy a computer.
dsl2u

dsl2u to Gershom 1624

to Gershom 1624
Well no one needs to pay for inbound calling anymore if you shop around. Getting a local number is the challenge of course. Once you have that you forward it to some free number.
dsl2u

dsl2u to Gershom 1624

to Gershom 1624
>If you forward to a PSTN/POTS number

I don't think most people here are doing that since they are so expensive. My aim is to get free or close to free which entails forwarding your local number to a VOIP number with free incoming calling like Fongo. INUM is really the future. It solves so many problems.

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624

Anon

said by dsl2u:

>If you forward to a PSTN/POTS number

I don't think most people here are doing that since they are so expensive. My aim is to get free or close to free which entails forwarding your local number to a VOIP number with free incoming calling like Fongo.

1) I was trying to give as complete an answer as possible. Many different people read these forums, and some may have goals that are different from yours.

2) If you have a DID from Fongo, even though you may consider it as a "VoIP Number", it will still be considered as working like a POTS/PSTN number if you forward calls to it from VoIP.MS

Let me try to rephrase:

a) If you forward to SIP URI, that forwarding will be free.
b) If you forward using SipBroker, that forwarding will be free because that's essentially doing SIP URI too.
c) If you forward to an iNum, that forwarding will be free.

But any OTHER forwarding likely will NOT be free. This includes anything that can be called from the POTS/PSTN network (such as a POTS/PSTN number, a DID from a VoIP company even Fongo, a cellphone, etc).

In other words, if you receive a call on a Voip.MS DID, and forward that to a Fongo DID, there are multiple aspects to consider:

* Inbound to Voip.MS: Yes, that does cost.
* Forwarding that call from Voip.MS to Fongo: If forwarding to a Fongo DID, there WILL be a charge from Voip.MS for an outbound call even if there is no charge from Fongo for an inbound call. THAT is what you fail to grasp.