spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TurtleFan

join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

[Rant] hurricane Sandy and Selective Insurance..

Just curious if anyone has received a check from them yet:

How long did you wait, and did you have to do anything to push them into giving you one?

The person came out in December if I recall right, and almost three months later, nothing. Reading online at jersey shore hurricane news, selective is one of the worst ones out there, apparently, so that doesn't leave me much hope..

my mother switched to them because they where cheaper. One of those 'why pay more when in 30 years we've never had aproblem' type of things...damn the timing.

nothing yet from fema either..
thanks

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
said by TurtleFan:

How long did you wait, and did you have to do anything to push them into giving you one?

The person came out in December if I recall right, and almost three months later, nothing. Reading online at jersey shore hurricane news, selective is one of the worst ones out there, apparently, so that doesn't leave me much hope..

my mother switched to them because they where cheaper. One of those 'why pay more when in 30 years we've never had aproblem' type of things...damn the timing.

thanks

I have no experience with Selective, but plenty of experience with other companies. Have you tried calling them? When we had a battle with Mercury Insurance over parts on our vehicle, I would call them every or every other day for about a week and they finally budged.
--
No Victim=No Crime

TurtleFan

Wyckoff, NJ
yep, we call them on a weekly basis. i'm afraid that when we finally do get something, it'll be far below what we need..i've read that's happened to some as well..

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
reply to TurtleFan
After Katrina and Rita, Allstate denied virtually all claims. Everyone had to sue or at least start the process before anyone was paid. Ridiculous.

TurtleFan

Wyckoff, NJ
that's what i don't get... Why run these as a business? Having some of these companies on the stock market would make matters worse as well, because then they've got expectations to meet.

Shouldn't these be set up as charities? Might make the process a little less stressful....

I should stay away from reading facebook..all these selective stories gives me a head ache

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to TurtleFan
said by TurtleFan:

thanks

I wasn't affected by the hurricane but I had Selective car insurance for 10+years and just dropped them because they raised my premium $500 more a year even though my driving record is pristine, never had a claim or points on license. Maybe to help pay Sandy claims?
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to TurtleFan
I had selective for contractors insurance. They were awful/

TurtleFan

Wyckoff, NJ
reply to TurtleFan
well, that was a pleasant, and quick un expected surprise.

thank you allen from selective for seeing this post and escalating things... lets hope it works out, but more hopeful now!

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
We're still waiting...

TurtleFan

Wyckoff, NJ
reply to TurtleFan
well, i guess we'll find out tomorrow if our fellow dsl user guy managed to come through for us..so far it's moving faster than it did, so very hopeful .

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Selective claims a check was mailed on the 5th.

TurtleFan

Wyckoff, NJ
said by tmpchaos:

Selective claims a check was mailed on the 5th.

well, we finally heard a number from our NEW guy handling everything. they are sending it off to the company for finalization..so I'm HOPING we will get the same check mailing claim soon....nice to see you are also getting some kind of progress too!

TurtleFan

Wyckoff, NJ
no new updates on the insurance front... we got a number quoted, it was apparently being sent to selective for finalization and a check to be sent out..no new update..

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Somehow, our check didn't arrive- so they're reissuing one. I'll believe it when I see it.

TurtleFan

Wyckoff, NJ
apparently a 'large advance' was mailed yesterday... hopefull....we'll keep things updated..

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Management company advised yesterday that they have received the (second) check.

TurtleFan

Wyckoff, NJ
well, today we got a nice surprise. The large advance came in the mail, and the bigger envelope contained the rest. i must admit i was skeptical at first being a glass half empty type of personality.

But i really must thank fellow DSLR user Alan for coming through. it's a shame he can't post on the Jersey Shore hurricane site. could help out lots of other people as well!

hope things go well for you tmp. keep us updated

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to TurtleFan
Why would you name your insurance company "Selective"? That seems like a really weird joke that some drunken executive came up with.

ECMaolcom

@optonline.net
reply to TurtleFan
For the better part of 5 1/2 months I have spent every spare minute organizing, recording, documenting, and providing. I've hired a PA, kept meticulous records, and responded, on demand, to any Selective requests. Additional this, more of that, further there after. I've done it all in a timely fashion, in hopes that my family will receive closure. I've completed a rebuild, almost completely out of pocket, and yes, I'm blessed to be able to front what should have been my compensation contractually through my Selective Flood Policy. However, the run around began in November when my adjuster was three hours tardy for my appointment and those detours have continued to impede our progress every step of the way. When a client needs to resort to harassing behavior to get what is owed to their family, something is very wrong. As luck would finally have it, we received "some" of our estimated compensation, finally yesterday. Unfortunately, my mortgage company claims that through their "formula" we are only 90% construction complete, we need to be 95% to be approved to actually cash our check. We are lacking paid air conditioning units that cannot be installed in »[Rant] hurricane Sandy and Selective Insurance.., winter months. Did I mention we paid for those too? This experience has been the most disheartening, frustrating, never ending nightmare we can't wake up from. Companies like Selective should be ashamed of themselves. While the rest of us fight a losing battle and continue to pay our policies on time, by all means, lets continue to make people's lives more difficult. It's awful.