Search similar:

uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Loud bang (e-brake)

A few days ago, in my 2001 Ford Ranger (manual transmission, RWD), I had the emergency brake set like I always do. The emergency brake is less than a year old. I un-set it and the truck still didn't move. I heard a loud BANG and then it moved. Obviously it was stuck, but could that bang have caused any damage to it? I don't know if it's just me but the e-brake pedal feels like I don't have to hit it as hard anymore. I hope one side didn't get disconnected or something.

I put the truck in neutral and found a hill, then set the e-brake. Truck did not move.

Haven't had any issues since.

Weather at the time was probably 20F.

Ideas?

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

I had an old van with drum brakes that if you set the parking brake and was wet they would rust together. Releasing the parking brake and the van would not move. Gave it some extra power and it would "pop" loose and was good to go.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

A few days ago, in my 2001 Ford Ranger (manual transmission, RWD), I had the emergency brake set like I always do. The emergency brake is less than a year old. I un-set it and the truck still didn't move. I heard a loud BANG and then it moved.

I don't know if it's just me but the e-brake pedal feels like I don't have to hit it as hard anymore.

Have it inspected by a shop.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Doctor Olds:

Have it inspected by a shop.

This, unless you do your own repairs. It might have just been something stuck but under tension until it suddenly became unstuck. Or it may have been something that failed like a spring.

Jacking up each side with the emergency brake engaged and trying to spin the wheel might indicate if one side is no longer working.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

1 edit

Tig to fartness

to fartness
I've had rear drum brakes freeze and POP rather loudly when forced to move. Same effect when tires are frozen to the ground. Usually colder weather than you describe and not really what I would call a BANG. My ranger has done this in the past month or so.
In the past, I have had some intermittent issues with the rear brakes grabbing on the Ranger at the first stop sign in very cold weather. I had it checked out. My mechanic cleaned the assembly up a bit but found no problems. It's been fine since.
Any grabbing on sandy or snowy surfaces?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I haven't had any issues since.

Normally if one side fails, I notice it or it makes a lot of noise. It seems to go fine other than the pedal feeling like it's a little easier to put down.