uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut

Re: Minimum lighting requirement for stairs

said by telco_mtl:

I know you are supposed to have one over every landing, which is silly when doors are added at the top and block the light. The sconce idea is good but keep in mind moving large objects to the basement ie new furnace, washer dryer.

I know, there was a sconce light at the bottom landing that got massacred when we took down the insulation batts.

However, upon further thinking and observing, I think I can fit a tiny sconce light right above the top stairs light switch. It wouldn't protrude too much from the usable width at the top of the stairs since the door hinges is on that side.

Don't ask about the wiring. I had no 3-wire romex on hand for that 3-way switch and the old romex is only going in there to be terminated (dead end) since the previous switched used a different circuit. --- edit: /Facepalm, looking at the picture, I realize I can just open up that switch box hidden behind the piece of wood and disconnect the old romex. Tomorrow's task

edit 2 - Just for the hardcore posters: Yes that romex coming up the top of the switch will be tied to the stud within 6 inches of the box. I don't secure anything until just before the drywall comes up (just in case I need to pull).
said by Juggernaut:

Forget the lights, those cords on the stairs will kill you faster.

Yeah, temporary hazard (along with all the junk I tend to leave on the stairs). All receptacles are not hooked up (not even the actual receptacle inside) while I put the drywall. I had to bring in extension cords through the utility room.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

I would consider adding a light or two closer to the treads. I have thought little LEDs in the side could make stepping up and down safer.

Headrush
@start.ca

Headrush to alkizmo

Anon

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Don't ask about the wiring. I had no 3-wire romex on hand for that 3-way switch and the old romex is only going in there to be terminated (dead end) since the previous switched used a different circuit. --- edit: /Facepalm, looking at the picture, I realize I can just open up that switch box hidden behind the piece of wood and disconnect the old romex. Tomorrow's task

I don't know about QC, but in Ontario code requires a switch at both ends of the stairs.

(based on 23rd ED. of Ontario Electrical Safety Code)