Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

1 edit

takeahike to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4

Re: [WIN7] 64 bit Windows 7 vs. an old DOS app

Could anyone help me? I downloaded dosbox and really like it--it runs my dos program (One Person Office by Spinnaker (1989)) in Win7 64 bit fine. What I'm having a lot of trouble with is creating an autoexec.bat file to just run it when I run dosbox without having to mount the drive and run the program each time. The program is located at c:\one and the command line is one.exe so I have to type the following each time.

z:\ mount c c:\one\ --which gives me--
z:\c: --which gives me--
c:\one --which gives me the program--

I've tried following the instructions but apparently it's a little beyond me. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Update: I got it running but with version 0.73 which has an edit configuration command line right from the start menu. If anyone has any insight how this could be done with 0.74 I'd be interested (still can't figure that out). Thanks again!

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

The screen shot that I showed in this thread of the old dos game Sherlock is being run with version 0.74 of DosBox.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Mounting" the program.

In my case, I have the files for my game Sherlock located at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sherlock

The EXE name for the game is "SHERLOCK.EXE".

So, to get it to run, I created a shortcut (see picture).

The target line is
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" "c:\program files (x86)\sherlock\sherlock.exe" -exit -fullscreen -userconf

First, we have the full path to where DosBox is installed. Then, I have the full path to the EXE that I want to run. The -exit is there so that once I exit out of the program, the command window that opens will be closed. -fullscreen is so that I run the program in fullscreen mode (not a window). Finally, -userconf is added to the end just to make sure I'm using the configuration file for DosBox. I think you can make changes to the configuration file for different uses, but I have not played around with that yet.

That's all I had to do. So, I would think in your case, you would be able to have something like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" "c:\one\one.exe" -exit -fullscreen -userconf

Take note of the placement of the " ", as you need to use them if your directory names have spaces.

--Brian

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

Thank you!!!

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by takeahike:

Thank you!!!

I take it you got it working with version 0.74?

--Brian

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

4 edits

takeahike

Premium Member

It's at home and I won't be back there until this evening. I may try it but I'll tell you it sure is simpler with 0.73 with the straight option in the Start Menu. It works fine for me with 0.73--is there any advantage you know of that I should try to get 0.74 working? I'm certainly tempted to just leave well enough alone although it wouldn't be any problem to go back to 0.73 if I couldn't make any progress. I just added the following to the [autoexec] block (the @echo off and exit do their jobs): By the way the mounting is mentioned in the initial instructions.
@echo off
mount c c:\one
c:
one
exit
Hey, again, I really want to thank you for your help!

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I don't know the software well enough to know the differences / fixes between the .074 and the .073 version.

So, if you are able to use the command line option like I showed on .073 and it works, then I would say stay with the version that is working for you!

--Brian

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

The only difference I can see is that they made customization much more complicated with 0.74 although I'm sure that that's not really the case. Certainly looks like a well written program--sure does a job for me that makes things much more convenient--before I had to reboot to my XP on a different hard drive to use the program (which of course took all day). The program is just a small bookkeeping program for my business, and I just like it too much to update to anything else (I've tried). The fonts and also much nicer in the dosbox than at full screen or in XP or when I did run it in Windows 7 32-bit (where it worked).