uniqs
Curiosity
join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC

1 recommendation

Curiosity to p2pistoast

to p2pistoast

Re: Copyright Alert System

The video mentions only people making the content available by P2P. Surely people are sharing by other means as well? Is it only P2P content that can really be monitored? The people downloading the content are not blamed?
unoriginal
Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

unoriginal

Premium Member

The lawyers seems to go after the uploaders because they are the ones making the content available. But for a user name like "p2pistoast" it really isn't: »blogs.computerworld.com/ ··· -strikes
quote:
6. Diehard "casual" pirates could ride out the Six Strikes storm, since nothing more happens after the sixth warning. At the start of WYNCs OntheMedia interview, it was said that Six Strikes is supposed to "stop serial illegal downloaders." Later during the interview, when asked what happens if you get Strike 7, 8 or 9, Lesser said, Once they've been mitigated, they've received several alerts, we're just not going to send them any more alerts. Because they are not the kind of customer that we're going to reach with this program." Nothing more under this program will happen. "For us it is reaching the casual infringer which is a large percentage of peer-to-peer piracy," Lesser stated.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to Curiosity

MVM

to Curiosity
said by Curiosity:

Is it only P2P content that can really be monitored? The people downloading the content are not blamed?

Well, P2P is the only way they can grab the IP addresses of the distributors. Unless the system used for unauthorized distribution exposes the IP addresses of the distributors, the MAFIAA can't identify the distributor's ISP in order to shake them down.

If they could grab a downloader's IP address, they would go after the downloaders. But the only way to get a downloader's IP address is to be on the uploading end.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

2 recommendations

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by Curiosity:

Is it only P2P content that can really be monitored? The people downloading the content are not blamed?

Well, P2P is the only way they can grab the IP addresses of the distributors. Unless the system used for unauthorized distribution exposes the IP addresses of the distributors, the MAFIAA can't identify the distributor's ISP in order to shake them down.

If they could grab a downloader's IP address, they would go after the downloaders. But the only way to get a downloader's IP address is to be on the uploading end.

This is something I have wondered about, Would it be illegal still if WB setup a honey pot?

My questioning of this is that if WB put their movies up on a honeypot, in a court case would they risk the defense being able to state "Well they offered it so it was an authorized download." because in retail terms the legal owner offering for download is no different than a shop owner putting stuff in a bin outside with a sign "take as many as you like" and then yelling shoplifting when you do.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Kearnstd:

This is something I have wondered about, Would it be illegal still if WB setup a honey pot?

Probably not, else they would be doing it already.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Curiosity

MVM

to Curiosity
@Curiosity See Profile
Look up "deep packet inspection" on your search engine of choice. Short ver, if it's an IP packet crossing your provider's
network, it could easily be DPI'd.

Regards

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by HELLFIRE:

@Curiosity See Profile
Look up "deep packet inspection" on your search engine of choice. Short ver, if it's an IP packet crossing your provider's
network, it could easily be DPI'd.

But how would the ISP know which packets are copyright violations? ISP is not monitoring there their network for violations of copyright, they are only responding to third party complaints of violations.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

@NormanS
I couldn't give you a nuts and bolts response to that question as I don't work in the ISP arena.

Nor am I a lawyer so I can't speak on the intent part of it.

I just have enough experience in the field that what they're claiming in the video is possible,
and it rather gets under my skin they're dressing this up as a "we're all one big happy family"
feelgood thing when it genuinely is a Big Brother / 1984 gong show.

Regards

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

Sort of difficult to make something freely available to the public, then turn around and claim infringement.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

@NormanS
I couldn't give you a nuts and bolts response to that question as I don't work in the ISP arena.

Nor am I a lawyer so I can't speak on the intent part of it.

Let's just say that the ISP is capable of DPI, but will only use it to their own ends. Bob can usually offer them regulatory incentives to share (such as AT&T's "listening rooms"), but MAFIAA doesn't have the same leverage as Bob. So TLA snooping happens, but MAFIAA enforcement is done via third party complaints; meaning MAFIAA isn't, can't sniff your packets. Other than by joining torrents.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

kickass69

Bottom line here is those who already have done so switched to using a VPN with the OpenVPN client, others having read this will learn and end up using one. The rest are either oblivious or just don't care.
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

1 edit

slajoh01

This is what I dont understand why people are mostly worried about Google watching them what they download from the net.

Well, guess what...Its your ISP that knows everything what you do on the net. Period. And they have control over it, they can shut you down for life banning you forever from using a home internet.

Also, why can they just focus on the Big Fish. I mean seriously.
Lets put it this way, if a torrent site has all the pirated music and movies on that site, there the ones who should pay the price.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

NOYB

Premium Member

Because it's easier to go after the drug addict than the dealer, after consumer rather than big business, after Martha Stewart rather than Bernie Madoff with your money, or Enron. And the list goes on.

Then they can hold up those little fishies as examples to pretend they are doing their job to prevent fraud etc. to foster a safe and fair market.

Just like SEC = Scam Enabling Commission.
So too is this CAS a scam. Con Artists Scam.