CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to pcdebb

MVM

to pcdebb

Re: Collection Agency...What Is Typical?

Unless Clark Howard is being paranoid but the collection agency will have you recorded identifying yourself, the debit and then your admissions that you owe it. Clark has said for the last couple of years that simply saying you owe the debit is enough to reset it (it could be a state by state thing as well).

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

Unless Clark Howard is being paranoid but the collection agency will have you recorded identifying yourself, the debit and then your admissions that you owe it. Clark has said for the last couple of years that simply saying you owe the debit is enough to reset it (it could be a state by state thing as well).

might be a state by state thing, but i can't see this being legit in any case. i can be the evil twin answering the phone and giving the answers you seek just for the hell of it. collection agencies will tell you anything to scare you into forking over money. not everyone knows the rules and regulations of the fair credit reporting act. I've had my share of dealing with them back in the day and learned plenty from them and their tactics (not everyone that ends up dealing with them are deadbeats)

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by pcdebb:

said by CylonRed:

might be a state by state thing, but i can't see this being legit in any case. i can be the evil twin answering the phone and giving the answers you seek just for the hell of it. collection agencies will tell you anything to scare you into forking over money. not everyone knows the rules and regulations of the fair credit reporting act. I've had my share of dealing with them back in the day and learned plenty from them and their tactics (not everyone that ends up dealing with them are deadbeats)

There are one-way and two-way recording laws but none that allow you to record a conversation without any consent at all. If they just started recording without your permission and you found out they'd have a lawsuit on their hands. Clark Howard loves drama that's his job after all!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

There are one-way and two-way recording laws but none that allow you to record a conversation without any consent at all.drama that's his job after all!

You understand what a one party recording law means right?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by AVD:

said by Draiman:

There are one-way and two-way recording laws but none that allow you to record a conversation without any consent at all.drama that's his job after all!

You understand what a one party recording law means right?

I have a lawsuit against a collection agency right now involving illegal recording among a few other issues. There's so many twists to the laws. Do you know none of that applies if the collection agency calls from another state? They need all party consent no matter if they are calling from a one party consent state to a different one party consent state. Interstate calls become all party calls per the FCC. There are quite a few other twists and bumps in the laws that the average person doesn't know either. It's amazing what a lawyer can teach you.

TryingToHelp to Draiman

Anon

to Draiman
In Ohio, only ONE party needs to know the call is being recorded, not both.