share rss forum feed

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to tubbynet

Re: Which Router?

said by tubbynet:

There is a separate network infrastructure to support QoS for voice and video, another separate network infrastructure to support storage between data centers

unless your provider is handing off a line-rate circuit -- you're going to want to shape at the edge. just because they're giving you a gig-e handoff doesn't mean they support full gig-e rate. as such -- you're going to want to shape at the edge to remove drops to your provider.

Back then I only dealt with the pure-data-push-and-pull network infrastructure. There were other network groups that dealt with the QoS and storage environment, that I never met or talked to; so I can't say what those groups decided to manage the network. Heck, we even had network group that nobody knew what they were doing

In the infrastructure I dealt with, we had DWDM hand-off from multiple carriers in form of dark fiber. No shaping was needed since there was only one type of data passing through (the pure-data-push-and-pull type).

said by tubbynet:

yes -- every organization is different. however -- there is still a "right way"(tm) to do things.

q.

Having to force the company to change network standard requires Hand of God

Since I just worked there and not responsible of the company politics, I just went with the flow

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Having to force the company to change network standard requires Hand of God

Since I just worked there and not responsible of the company politics, I just went with the flow

otherwise known as the hand of the consultant.

i come in -- act smarter than everyone else in the room -- tell them what they're doing wrong -- then leave.

all that -- and i get *paid* for it (not very much though -- and i have a lot of free time -- hence why i troll this forum).

;-P

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

aryoba
Premium,MVM

As far as I knew, the company never brought in consultants since it was simply not in their bone

They do however have Cisco and Juniper residence engineers that have direct connection to the vendors' inner circle. Just think of them as dedicated in house TAC and JTAC engineers

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
reply to markysharkey

Click for full size
Check the latency on that!
Meanwhile...

Integrated the ISP supplied router in to the system 'cos the 887's switch ports are Fe, not Gig, so round one to Hyperoptic.
As I don't have a way to measure raw bandwidth (and I'd love some suggestions for *simple* software that allows me to measure throughput/bandwidth on an interface or via port mirroring) other than the usual on-line speed tests which all max out at 100Mb, all I have to go on are ping response times. On ADSL the average response from 8.8.8.8 was 35-40ms on the wires. On the 1Gig wires it was down to 5ms with one speed test showing a latency of 0ms which is pictured above. I'm hoping someone can turn that info in to something meaningful.

The speeds in the picture are showing 93 down, 91 up with the "speed limit" of 100Mb on the test software behind the website (www.thinkbroadband.co.uk). If there is a Gigabit speed tester out there, can someone point me to it please?

If an ASR is well into 5 figures then that's out. Budget is not an issue but remember at the end of the day this is a domestic install. It's ultra high end domestic, but domestic none the less and there will be limits.
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Ok heres what you do

Go to revision3.com
now start downloading ALOT of videos. (keep starting more downloads till just browsing to another page becomes slow)

I'm not sure what they're max is but it'll surely get up there.

then get a print screen of all the download speed tests and add it up.

if you want a cheap way to test the throughput of a given router you could do the following

get 2 computers, download qcheck
use qcheck to test the throughput from one computer through the router to the other.
--
»Death Star Petition

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to markysharkey

If an ASR is well into 5 figures then that's out. Budget is not an issue but remember at the end of the day this is a domestic install. It's ultra high end domestic, but domestic none the less and there will be limits.

apparently, i've been typing on mute.
didn't know that was possible until now.

*cough* *cough*

look here...

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to markysharkey

»www.netoptics.com/products/aggre···gregator

Use one of those. Just plug it in-line and look at the display. (warning: THEY ARE NOT CHEAP)

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
reply to tubbynet

I have been paying attention, and I have looked at the 72xx but I have issues, the first being there's only 2U spare and _nowhere_ else to shove it. And I've never even seen one in the flesh let alone set one up. I'll read back over your posts to see what you suggest for modules and get busy on the Cisco site and speak to my reseller.

Cramer, I'll have a read, but so far I haven't found *anything* that I can "just plug in and look at". There surely has to be something more to it than that.
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

said by markysharkey:

And I've never even seen one in the flesh let alone set one up. I'll read back over your posts to see what you suggest for modules and get busy on the Cisco site and speak to my reseller.

runs ios -- just like any other cisco software platform.
asr runs ios-xe -- slightly different animal.

stick it on a table. ;-P. the only way you're going to get that performance in a smaller form factor is the asr1001.

npe/g2 is all you need. inside and outside interface.

i believe they are eos -- so you can only get them grey-market.

q.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to tubbynet

said by tubbynet:

apparently, i've been typing on mute.
didn't know that was possible until now.

*cough* *cough*

look here...

q.

WOW, nice

I'd love to get that into my home network, though I do like my 3745 w/ etherswitches setup. But just ordered a set of heads and related hardware for my car.
--
»Death Star Petition

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tubbynet

said by tubbynet:

q.

As far as I know, only the 72XX non-VXR's are end of sale/end of life. The OP could also look at a 7201-VXR, if they can find one.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

said by sk1939:

said by tubbynet:

q.

As far as I know, only the 72XX non-VXR's are end of sale/end of life. The OP could also look at a 7201-VXR, if they can find one.

lets split the difference. npe/g1 are eos.
the g2 won't be too far behind. once thats gone -- so too will the chassis.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···450.html

q.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

The OP could also look at a 7201-VXR, if they can find one.

They are more costly, but only take 1U of space:

»www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco7201-Route···283a6922

»www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO7201-1Gig-···cfc16d79

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

I'd love to get that into my home network

What would you use a massive box like that for, other than raising the white noise level and electricity bill for your house?

aryoba
Premium,MVM

said by TomS_:

said by DarkLogix:

What would you use a massive box like that for, other than raising the white noise level and electricity bill for your house?

To simulate VPLS network?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to TomS_

said by TomS_:

said by DarkLogix:

For fun.
And I doubt it'd raise the white noise level
I already have the following
DL380 G4
and a server rack fan tray

Just to name the loudest items.
--
»Death Star Petition

aryoba
Premium,MVM

Don't forget to add Juniper M series (i.e. M7i or M5); those can be loud as well

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

But an M7i is much more useful for lab work, and its 1RU smaller. You can create 15 logical systems on it (essentially a virtual router, but not in the sense of a VRF), and combined with the physical router "instance" as well you have 16 routers to play with. What more could you ask for in a lab?

Logical systems have their own routing table, but are also independently manageable by an independent list of users, run their own instances of BGP and other routing protocols, MPLS, etc etc.

Id like to see a 7200VXR do that.

aryoba
Premium,MVM

said by TomS_:

But an M7i is much more useful for lab work, and its 1RU smaller. You can create 15 logical systems on it (essentially a virtual router, but not in the sense of a VRF), and combined with the physical router "instance" as well you have 16 routers to play with. What more could you ask for in a lab?

Logical systems have their own routing table, but are also independently manageable by an independent list of users, run their own instances of BGP and other routing protocols, MPLS, etc etc.

Id like to see a 7200VXR do that.

Such JUNOS feature of having multiple virtual routers without necessarily having multiple VRF instances is one that IOS doesn't offer since in IOS you need VRF instances to have multiple virtual routers. In NX-OS and IOS XR, this behavior may change.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

said by aryoba:

Such JUNOS feature of having multiple virtual routers without necessarily having multiple VRF instances is one that IOS doesn't offer since in IOS you need VRF instances to have multiple virtual routers.

Sorry, having a hard time trying to understand what you mean by this.

aryoba
Premium,MVM

In JUNOS, you have options to choose what kind routing-instances you want. The options include virtual router, virtual switch, vrf, and vpls. Should you choose virtual router as the instance type, there is no need to apply any VRF-related setup anywhere in the configuration.

In IOS on the other hand, there is no option to choose virtual router per se. You have to setup some VRF lite configuration in order to have virtual router.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to aryoba

said by aryoba:

Don't forget to add Juniper M series (i.e. M7i or M5); those can be loud as well

My home rack will never have juniper in it.
--
»Death Star Petition

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to aryoba

Im well aware of that. I have MPLS configured in my lab at home between Cisco and Juniper routers. :-)

But I am not talking about a routing instance configured as a virtual router (akin to a VRF) though.

Really I shouldnt have mentioned it, or should have written "virtual router."

What I am talking about is configured under the logical-systems stanza, e.g.:

logical-systems {
    Router1 {
        interfaces {
        }
        protocols {
            bgp {
            }
            isis {
            }
        }
        routing-instances {
            vr1 {
                instance-type virtual-router;
            }
        }
    }
    Router2 {
        interfaces {
        }
        protocols {
            bgp {
            }
            isis {
            }
        }
    }
}

Yeah, a logical system can have multiple virtual routers of its own. ;)

If you picture 16 routers lined up on a desk. Each one has its own users that can manage it, each one running an instance of BGP, talking MPLS to its neighbors, etc.

Now, merge those 16 physical routers in to a single physical box with one massive configuration, where the configuration of each physical router is now just a portion of one single massive configuration, but each router still functions individually with its own services.

There you have 15 logical routers, each still doing what they did when they were individual physical routers, plus the physical router which manages them all, but can also do routing. 16 individual routers inside one metal box.

Thats what Im talking about. :)

Its not available on all platforms though. e.g. you wont be doing it on your J series router, or one your low end SRX's. The smallest box I have found that will do all 16, without the need for any licenses, is the M7i.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to aryoba

said by aryoba:

i've got a dl360g4p running esxi that i have as an olive box.
its been neglected as of late because of my ccie studies.

after i pass -- i plan on looking at some jncie study. then hopefully onto ccie s/p.

q.
--

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to TomS_

said by TomS_:

Yeah, a logical system can have multiple virtual routers of its own.

Yup, another JUNOS feature that does not exist in IOS

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tubbynet

said by tubbynet:

after i pass -- i plan on looking at some jncie study. then hopefully onto ccie s/p.

q.

Why not CCIE-Data Center?

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

said by sk1939:

said by tubbynet:

q.

because i hate d/c work.
i'm a nexus sme simply because its what i've been working with for so long. i have very little interest in supporting storage, etc -- especially since this will be a larger component of the ccie d/c going forward (ccie storage has been sunsetted).

q.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by tubbynet:

said by sk1939:

said by tubbynet:

q.

because i hate d/c work.
i'm a nexus sme simply because its what i've been working with for so long. i have very little interest in supporting storage, etc -- especially since this will be a larger component of the ccie d/c going forward (ccie storage has been sunsetted).

q.

Makes sense, if I don't get through it, I will probably pursue CCNP-V or CCNP-SP.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to tubbynet

said by tubbynet:

i plan on looking at some jncie study. then hopefully onto ccie s/p.

Doing JNCIE using actual Juniper M or MX series is probably gonna cost you. Same concern with CCIE S/P that requires some large gear to simulate VPLS network, unless you get a loan from somewhere

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

said by aryoba:

said by tubbynet:

i plan on looking at some jncie study. then hopefully onto ccie s/p.

Doing JNCIE using actual Juniper M or MX series is probably gonna cost you. Same concern with CCIE S/P that requires some large gear to simulate VPLS network, unless you get a loan from somewhere

an hp dl380g6 will run a lot of c7200's in gns3 ;-P

q.
--