how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

Swedish equine meatballs

Found in Europe, now correct me if I'm wrong but Ikea single sources their frozen products worldwide. Have these jumped the pond to be served up at a local Ikea near you?

»news.sky.com/story/1056625/ikea-···at-fears
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
IKEA is very innovative, always figuring out how to put big things into small packages.

Joking aside, the fact that the horse meet was so widely distributed to many meat processing plants, and the fact that none of them can tell the difference between cow and horse is very disturbing. Either none of the people at the plant are very well trained (no doubt all the workers have McJobs and aren't qualified butchers) or all the plants knew the meat was horse but just tried to pawn it off to smaller processors anyways (greed).

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to I_H8_Spam
Concerns seem to be limited to Europe, for now, anyway.
»www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013···lls.html

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to I_H8_Spam
Follow the logic trail...
Swedish Meat Balls...
Made in Sweden...... check
Comes in round frozen form and packaged.......check
made of meat............check

what the problem??

I have never heard them called Swedish Beef Balls.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

said by Anav:

Follow the logic trail...

Logic checks out, so the breading in the meatballs must be made from 100% Thoroughbred
--

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Touche!!

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
reply to I_H8_Spam
I'm not going to feel safe about the Canadian ones until I know for sure what they did with Darwin the monkey.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Dont be so picky, I just dont want to eat testicles by accident.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to I_H8_Spam
Horse or Monkey........

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Wolfie00
Darwin is doing fine.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to I_H8_Spam
Other shipments of meatballs were not affected, including to the USA, even though they all come from the same Swedish supplier, Magnusson said.

Damage control in full swing, trying to say this is limited to 1 production run is expecting your clients to be naive.

»www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl···1933037/
--

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Especially when they have the meatball fights in the factory, besides the normal BBall competitions across the aisle.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
reply to I_H8_Spam
Horse is actually good, I wouldn't care if they were horse balls just as long they're not testicles as Anav said. I suppose we each have a line

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Horse is usually much better and I would've love some... my only concern though is that if it got added as filler, it might've been a not too healthy horse, or a roadkill.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

Found in Europe, now correct me if I'm wrong but Ikea single sources their frozen products worldwide. Have these jumped the pond to be served up at a local Ikea near you?

»news.sky.com/story/1056625/ikea-···at-fears

The ones sold in Canada (at least the ones I saw in the Etobicoke Ikea two months ago) are Product of USA.
They probably just have growth hormones, antibiotics, and who knows what else in them.......but probably not horse meat.

Just a guess, but I think they are from the same supplier that Loblaws uses for theirs (open both boxes and look at laserprinted info on the pouch to know for sure).

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to ekster
Ekster, if you actually eat hot dogs, I will know you didnt type that with a Straight Face.

Bartender says to Ekster, Why the long face?? well I just ate a pound of swedish meatballs..........

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
I don't touch hotdogs. Only sausages I get are made by someone I know, a small polish butcher that makes some awesome cold cuts in general. I'm confident that there is no roadkill in that.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to I_H8_Spam
Maybe make a trip to Ikea, answer every question with

Neigh
Hold your Horses

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to I_H8_Spam
What's the big deal? Horse meat is perfectly safe to eat.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
said by Guspaz:

Cultural stigma to Equine consumption in Western civilization.

Take a look at the hoops M. Wells Diner in NYC had to step though in order to get approval to serve Equine based cuisine.
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
said by I_H8_Spam:

Cultural stigma to Equine consumption in Western civilization.

There are plenty of Western cultures that consume horse meat and associate no stigma with it.

The Belgians and French absolutely love the stuff.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
I don't really get why there is a stigma. Cows are way cooler than horses, but we don't have a problem eating cows... Besides, we've all eaten horse products if you've ever had gelatin...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Horse meat is fine, as long as it's documented, on the list of ingredients, and follow the same safety levels as beef, sheep, pig, whatever else.
The problem is that these dishes have undocumented meat in them, and no one can say that these grades of horse meats should be in making it into human food chain.
--
~ Project Hope ~

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Guspaz
First of all, my understanding about the big fuss is the fact that the horsemeat found in European meats has not been properly inspected and approved for consumption. Apparently there is some worry that certain drug residues used to treat horses have been found in the meat which has definitely not been approved for human consumption.

And now for your further education and entertainment, where hot dogs REALLY come from!

Bon apetit

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2o0GQQs8A

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Not for humans after all the veterinary drugs are injected if it was a race horse. Some drugs are the same as for humans, but the dosages are typically much higher/kg of mass in horses. Other equine drugs are simply NOT approved for human use.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by MaynardKrebs:

Not for humans after all the veterinary drugs are injected if it was a race horse.

Race horses should *never* be used for human consumption, and no reputable butcher of horse meat would ever slaughter a former race horse.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

1 recommendation

said by Gone:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Not for humans after all the veterinary drugs are injected if it was a race horse.

Race horses should *never* be used for human consumption, and no reputable butcher of horse meat would ever slaughter a former race horse.

No reputabe butcher/food processor should ever put horse meat in a product labelled 'beef either - but apparently they do.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by MaynardKrebs:

No reputabe butcher/food processor should ever put horse meat in a product labelled 'beef either - but apparently they do.

Totally.

I'm just saying, there's nothing inherently wrong with horse so long as it is intended for human consumption. Former race horses are never intended for human consumption.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to I_H8_Spam
They should just call it "mystery meat". LOL.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

MaynardKrebs
Premium
I buy all my meats as carve/grind your own.
I dry/wet age pretty much all the beef for between 4-7 weeks depending on the cut before I carve it. Talk about tender and flavourful.

I tend not to age lamb or pork beyond a week, but I should see if longer is safe and worth doing.