Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Simple Open VPN client

I know OpenVPN provides a lot of options, and therefore can be quite complicated to set up. Are there any simplistic free clients out there, that are mostly pre-configured already. You know, just a clean simple gui interface, and says Enter host here, CA, CRT, and key. Wam, bam connected!
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

Suggest you look at Team Viewer.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Thank you, but Team Viewer is not a VPN client.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Rexter

To answer your question then, No.
With one caveat, often a business side router will have the ability to export a pre-made VPN client for a mobile user. The work however still needs to be done by a VPN admin to setup the export.

Dont get me wrong, I too wish it were much easier but alas, as far as I have experienced tis not the case. Perhaps Hellfire or others more versed in simple things (wrt routing and vpn) can direct you.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Really the OpenVPN GUI isn't that bad. It's just not something where you can point the end user to the download, and have them install it themselves. Getting an end user to drop certificate file in the correct file location can be troublesome. Especially when the end user doesn't understand file hierarchy. The only real issue that's driving me crazy, is I can't figure out how to allow non admin users the ability to connect, and disconnect. Do you know of any good guides on the subject?
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Rexter

Thin-client SSL? Just not sure of any OSS variants of it.

Otherwise try "vpn over ssh" on your search engine of choice.

My 00000010bits... though some more details about your setup -- home use? SOHO use? # of users? budget? etc. -- would be helpful

Regards

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Rexter

It's always best just to send the user the configuration. With that said, I find Viscosity to have a pretty clean interface and to be rather friendly. »www.sparklabs.com/viscosity/

I never liked the "official" OpenVPN GUI.
--
PRescott7-2097

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Can a non admin Windows 7/8 user connect, and disconnect?

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Do you mean if it has already been setup on ones laptop for example by the admin. Do they just open the progroam go to this config thats been done and say connect (with probably a user name and password). Not sure but assuming this is what is meant.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Yea, as opposed to OpenVPN GUI, where it has to actually be run as Admin. Non admin users can't access it. I don't mind having to install it for them, but I wan the non admin users to choose when to connect and disconnect.
--

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Rexter

said by Rexter:

Can a non admin Windows 7/8 user connect, and disconnect?

Yes. By default the configuration is per-user, but you can set it per-computer. When you set it per-computer if the user has write access to the folder where you store the configurations they can edit them as well.
--
PRescott7-2097