All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

UKEE
join:2012-05-14
Lexington, KY

UKEE to motoracer

to motoracer

Re: Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?

said by motoracer:

Out of curiosity, what are you hoping to get with different firmware? What does the white 6141 have that the black one doesn't?

The newer firmwares, which TWC won't push, don't reboot the modem upon multiple T4 faults. It supposedly drops the channel in question and then tries to pick it up again without a reboot.

Many of the black (eBay) modems are at 1.0.6.3 whereas the newest firmwares available are 1.0.6.10 (IIRC).

1.0.6.3 (August 2011)
1.0.6.10 (latest - December 2012 IIRC).
RySean
join:2013-02-18
San Diego, CA

RySean

Yeah, the newest is 1.0.6.10 as confirmed to me by Time Warner Online Support. However, as you said, they refuse to update the modems, and multiple reps I have spoken to over the phone have stated that TWC does not push firmware to modems, which begs the question: how the hell does anyone get new firmware?
Earthlinky
join:2013-02-15
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

File a lawsuit in court forcing Time Warner cable to update the firmwares. The incompatibility is because they want to force people to use their own modems.

Send a Certified letter to Time Warner Cable and the franchising authority on the modem firmware issue as well.

We need a law firm willing to take on this case against Time Warner Cable.

Please file complaints to the Local Franchising agency like NYC DOITT and also lets see if we can retain an attorney to take on this case.

I agree, this is a common issue unfortunately and it should not be this way.

UKEE
Lexington, KY

UKEE to RySean

to RySean
said by RySean:

Yeah, the newest is 1.0.6.10 as confirmed to me by Time Warner Online Support. However, as you said, they refuse to update the modems, and multiple reps I have spoken to over the phone have stated that TWC does not push firmware to modems, which begs the question: how the hell does anyone get new firmware?

I'm still trying to figure out why TW even mentioned it online(and actually had the right version of the firmware listed)?

Why do that when they know that they are not going to push the firmwares?

Strange...
RySean
join:2013-02-18
San Diego, CA

RySean

said by UKEE:

said by RySean:

I'm still trying to figure out why TW even mentioned it online(and actually had the right version of the firmware listed)?

Strange...

The online rep told me that it would come automatically.

Here are quotes from my conversation with her:

"Each CMTS is scheduled to push the firmware to any existing modems/gateways connected to it that need the firmware and have not received it (usually between 12am – 5am to minimize customer impact)."

"The update process can take many days/weeks depending on the amount of modems/gateways on each CMTS for each area that needs to be discovered and updated."

"These firmware upgrades are generally pushed to the devices from the headend once they are connected to the plant."

"I have checked our records. I see taht as per your division only one modem is updated with the firmware version: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH . "

"It is in the process of updating the modems with latest firmware versions "

I haven't seen any evidence of this on online forums, I'm assuming no one has received the new firmware yet. However, when I talked to over the phone support, 4 different techs all told me that TWC doesn't do firmware, but if they did, it would happen automatically. (Weirdest reply ever, right?)

UKEE
Lexington, KY

UKEE

Wow, that's pretty detailed for it "not" to happen, lol! :P
said by RySean:

said by UKEE:

said by RySean:

Strange...

The online rep told me that it would come automatically.

Here are quotes from my conversation with her:

"Each CMTS is scheduled to push the firmware to any existing modems/gateways connected to it that need the firmware and have not received it (usually between 12am – 5am to minimize customer impact)."

"The update process can take many days/weeks depending on the amount of modems/gateways on each CMTS for each area that needs to be discovered and updated."

"These firmware upgrades are generally pushed to the devices from the headend once they are connected to the plant."

"I have checked our records. I see taht as per your division only one modem is updated with the firmware version: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH . "

"It is in the process of updating the modems with latest firmware versions "

I haven't seen any evidence of this on online forums, I'm assuming no one has received the new firmware yet. However, when I talked to over the phone support, 4 different techs all told me that TWC doesn't do firmware, but if they did, it would happen automatically. (Weirdest reply ever, right?)

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to UKEE

to UKEE
said by UKEE:

said by motoracer:

Out of curiosity, what are you hoping to get with different firmware? What does the white 6141 have that the black one doesn't?

The newer firmwares, which TWC won't push, don't reboot the modem upon multiple T4 faults. It supposedly drops the channel in question and then tries to pick it up again without a reboot.

Many of the black (eBay) modems are at 1.0.6.3 whereas the newest firmwares available are 1.0.6.10 (IIRC).

1.0.6.3 (August 2011)
1.0.6.10 (latest - December 2012 IIRC).

1.0.6.10 (IIRC What does that mean?) does that mean the newest white versions have that firmware or 1.0.6.8?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

If I Remember correctly

Hob