Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

1 edit

CV fires employees speaking out about working conditions

First time I've ever posted something like this, so forgive me if it's not suitable for this forum.

Also, this might be old news to some, considering it happened January 30th.

I received a petition e-mail about 2 days ago which I finally checked today. I get a lot of these every day because I like being involved with changes, though most of them are about government related stuff. This one was a bit different.

»signon.org/sign/reinstate-illegally-fired

It's about Cablevision firing some employees for speaking out about their working conditions. The petition is specifically about re-hiring the 'illegally' fired workers.

As of writing it has 67,000 signatures.

Now, I'm not here to promote the petition (though that would be great too because I see it as ethically wrong, especially after having my family severely affected by employment crisis), I mainly want to hear from people about this; where it happened (apparently Brooklyn according to an article I just peeked at), CV's say on it, reactions, etc., as this is the first I've heard of it.

I've tried searching DSLR but haven't found anything about it. Did a quick Google and there have been articles about it from January 30th onward, so it might have already been posted somewhere here, though search is now 503'ing so I can't look again.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

Not suitable

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to DAOWAce

Karl covered this event here:

Cablevision's Union Fight Gets Uglier - Company Fires 25 Union Employees

The skinny of it; several workers out of Brooklyn reportedly demanded to speak with management under pretense of CV's "open-door policy" during their regularly scheduled shift and would not go to work until management agreed to speak to them.

In turn, CV said fuck yourselves and fired them all, unfortunately also including the few who decided to head out and do their scheduled duties for the day in light of the potentially heated situation.

Say what you will.... I'm not a unionized worker. There's a time and place to do and say something. Some people in this city forget New York State is an AT-WILL employment state.

nottrue

@optonline.net

They were fired for insubordination and refusing to work. Just because a company has an open door policy it doesn't mean you can speak with an executive the very minute that YOU want to. The whole thing wasn't about working conditions, but about the fact that the union hasn't been able to reach a deal with CV yet. So they did what unions do, try to intimidate the company. It didn't work.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to DAOWAce

to bad these petitions don't have counter petitions like for those of us against the petition.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to DAOWAce

Screw unions, last thing I want is a CV employee taking his mandated lunch break during my service call.

Do your job, get paid, go home.

You don't need representation if you are competent and not being foolish.

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to Network Guy

Well, that's why I didn't see it. I was searching for variants on 'cablevision fires", clearly didn't hit the subject target. By the time I thought to search for 'union', the search system broke.

DownTheShore
Mr. Putin, meet SEAL Team 6
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Jmartz

said by Jmartz:

Says someone who's probably never worked under a manager with a Napoleonic complex.

dtremain

join:2007-02-15
Florham Park, NJ

said by DownTheShore:

said by Jmartz:

Says someone who's probably never worked under a manager with a Napoleonic complex.

The times that I have, and they are long ago, I found another, better job. Their loss.

Network Guy
Premium
New York

^ THIS

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to DAOWAce

said by DAOWAce:

By the time I thought to search for 'union', the search system broke.

lol

I got yo back

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage
reply to DAOWAce

Ugly is a good word for it. I'm sure plenty of blame to go around on both sides - people looking for a fight rather than a solution.

Sort of like what is going on in DC...but that is a topic for another forum.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

dulan

@optonline.net
reply to DAOWAce

NY City Council members criticize Cablevision - »www.newsday.com/business/ny-city···.4718170

NYC Public Advocate calls for the NBA to hold its 2015 All-Star Game at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center instead of MSG "as a necessary response to the ongoing mistreatment of Cablevision workers by MSG’s owner, James Dolan" - »pubadvocate.nyc.gov/news/2013-02···brooklyn

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13

Good to see nobody is taking sides in a labor dispute.

Expand your moderator at work