All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

So, the results came in, what happens now...???

What does the future hold for the Teksavvy faithful...??
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

Nothing except waiting until the ISP's crunch the numbers. The decision only came Thursday so after the initial shock, CNOC and the IISP's have to figure out what to do.

TSI Marc had initially said he may have something later this week for plans, but the decision is very complex and long-winded. It will take time to parse.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

lots of homework to do now..
twinge
join:2012-10-02

twinge

Any idea at what type of timeframe migth be reasonable to expect information on changes to package pricing (days, weeks, months). I am curious how this is going to affect the pricing on my 25/10 unlimited VDSL package. Thanks,

David

PlatooN
join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

PlatooN to Rickkins

to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

presumably a bunch of math?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Rickkins

to Rickkins
On the DSL side, probably higher caps.

For cable, some combination of lower caps and higher prices.
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab to Rickkins

to Rickkins
I forgot which ISP had been waiving dryloop fees, is that still on?
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

said by bbiab:

I forgot who had been waiving dryloop fees, is that still on?

They have been free with ElectronicBox for a few months now (who also install in Ontario). Not sure why they were never free with Teksavvy.

Now that the DSL rates have been chopped in half I can see that promo coming to an end

ntls
@teksavvy.com

ntls

Anon

TSI pleaaaaaase drop the damn dryloop fee, I wanna switch to Voip and drop Bell. You can leave us with crappy upload speeds but at least get rid of the $10/month dry loop.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to Rickkins

to Rickkins
We are waiting on 2 things;

1) Timetable for switch to aggregated on per POI basis

2) More info about packages + prices when the switch to aggreg is finally made

TSI Marc has given "a few weeks" timetable 2 weeks ago or so and we are still unclear about TSI' intentions about #2 but I did ask about it specifically in the now 46 page thread but did not receive a response. I am hoping only because of the initial hype that they may have missed it and I don't blame em

rogerstv
@teksavvy.com

rogerstv

Anon

I am a teksavvy dsl customer for years and have been considering going to Cable in the Cambridge area. With the trend of lowering caps on the cable side I'm actually considering going with Teksavvy instead of Start for 2 reasons. 1) They have a 300gb cap and 2) I'm hoping by signing up now I get grandfathered in at 300gb like those lucky ones who did that signed up with Start. If I wanted a low cap, I would have signed up with Rogers 200gb cap at $45 with an 8 year price guarantee with no contracts.
Scycotic
join:2012-12-10

Scycotic

I remember reading that TekSavvy doesn't do "grandfathering" as it would be unfair to other customers.

Optional
join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON

Optional to Rickkins

to Rickkins
said by InvalidError:

On the DSL side, probably higher caps.

For cable, some combination of lower caps and higher prices.

Is that a fucking joke?

150 down/10up 250gb from rogers at 120 bucks a month will be the best deal then....
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to ntls

to ntls
said by ntls :

TSI pleaaaaaase drop the damn dryloop fee, I wanna switch to Voip and drop Bell. You can leave us with crappy upload speeds but at least get rid of the $10/month dry loop.

Almost every independent charges for dry loop because Bell charges them fees (which Bell does not charge their own customers...convenient).

The notable exception is Electronic Box. Their DSL prices remain insanely good, and their 15/1 and 25/10 plans (with free dryloop) are miles ahead of the competition at the moment. I love TSI's service (I'm on cable) but I'm impressed by whatever eBox is doing on the DSL side.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to rogerstv

to rogerstv
i saw a post marc saying that they dont grand father anyone ever so even if you went with 300gb cap right now then when they change to AGG poi it won't matter you'll be set to the new packages automatically.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Given theres never a contract thats fair, month to Month is what it is p:)

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Rickkins

to Rickkins
Marc has also stated TSI will always try to offer unlimited, so you may see the capped packages get lower packages, or get two tiers there now instead of the sole 300GB we have now and the unlimited package will increase in price (probably significantly, at least $10).

rogerstv
@teksavvy.com

rogerstv

Anon

Well the other option is to go over to Acanac and pay the year upfront at $39 per month. At least I'll have unlimited for a year until the dust settles. The $10 per month I'd save will at least cover the modem costs and a bit of the activation fee.

Mb67
@acndigital.net

Mb67

Anon

Plz setup your own fiber network ftth
Avoid bell Rogers lines
W16
join:2006-08-25
Colborne, ON

W16

Ok, great idea, Mb67. Now all we need to do is give Teksavvy a couple of billion dollars and the political clout (ie., additional money for bribes) and this WILL happen.

koolin
join:2005-12-20
Canada

1 edit

koolin to Rickkins

to Rickkins
if you're on cable I would say leave...

I would bet cable users will be stuck on 28/1 till earliest july/august. When finally we would get switched to APOI and be forced onto new plans with the new speeds but significantly higher prices.

Marc has already said they were eating the costs for the last while to shelter us in hopes this would come down fair. It didn't come down fair.

Start is selling 45/4 for $60 with 350GB and that is hurting them. If we think that we are going to get that or better out of APOI TekSavvy I think we are dreaming.

Rogers is throwing out unlimited candy right now and while they might be the devil, its hard to turn down some freaking awesome candy. $105 might be the public list price on 45/4 unlimited but they are giving discounts out on top of that. Go check RFD for what people are getting, you might just want to make that deal with the devil.
Scycotic
join:2012-12-10

Scycotic

Pretty sure Marc said they were eating costs for DSL, not the Cable.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Scycotic:

Pretty sure Marc said they were eating costs for DSL, not the Cable.

TSI said they priced their cable plans based on speculation that revised rates would be cut roughly in half but what they got instead was a ~10% further raise. On the other hand, they did get roughly what they expected for DSL.

They were "eating" the cost on both ends but with the new rates, they will be "un-eating" the cost on DSL due to retroactive refund which will cover part of the costs they did not expect on the cable side of things.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

they will be "un-eating" the cost on DSL due to retroactive refund

Which makes me wonder... how soon until Bell increases the prices for everyone and a new item is added to every bill.

"Government mandated refunded fee"
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to Mb67

to Mb67
said by Mb67 :

Avoid bell Rogers lines

The second TSI hits $10 billion in market cap I think they should get right on it.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to The Mongoose

Premium Member

to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

said by ntls :

Almost every independent charges for dry loop because Bell charges them fees (which Bell does not charge their own customers...convenient).

The notable exception is Electronic Box. Their DSL prices remain insanely good, and their 15/1 and 25/10 plans (with free dryloop) are miles ahead of the competition at the moment. I love TSI's service (I'm on cable) but I'm impressed by whatever eBox is doing on the DSL side.

I don't understand how EB offers rates that are THAT good when TSI says they are eating costs. How are two IISP's so far apart?

Already Done
@videotron.ca

Already Done to Mb67

Anon

to Mb67
said by Mb67 :

Avoid bell Rogers lines

They did do this in some small area of Ontario. Think it turned into a money pit and they couldn't turn a profit on it or something like that, so they got rid of it.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

worth the investment.. not to overcharged by bell and rogers for using their lines for internet traffic
Gruesome
join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON

Gruesome to Rickkins

to Rickkins
Independents need to set up a co-op with equal access to the members.
None of them on their own will be able to do it
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Rickkins

Premium Member

to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

A tall dark stranger will enter your life.
His name is Mirko, the lord of darkness.