spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Gruesome

to Gruesome

Re: So, the results came in, what happens now...???

said by Gruesome:

Independents need to set up a co-op with equal access to the members.
None of them on their own will be able to do it

Initial costs would be so high early adopters would need fork over thousands each to get started, or pay high montly rates, as high as you would to incumbents or more to pay off a bank loan or investors who would pay for the initial roll out.

Just look at this COOP in Quebec: »www.cooptel.qc.ca/en-res ··· esse.php

And they're using DSL, which means they're really a COOP IISP, they didn't lay down their own infrastructure for access.
Gruesome
join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON

Gruesome

This co-op wouldn't have end client products, all they would do is lay infrastructure and charge fees much like the ones bell charges teksavvy for use.
Teksavvy Arcanac and all the other independents get access and pay similar fees they pay today for peering and access to the co-op allowing for maintenance and future growth.
All new equipment, no old infrastructure to support and products that could range all the way up to Gigabyte access.
They need to start in the right places and expand but I think it could be done

F and S
@videotron.ca

F and S to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Rickkins:

What does the future hold for the Teksavvy faithful...??

A tall dark stranger will enter your life.
His name is Mirko, the lord of darkness.

@%#$* if I lose another KYBD due to spewed coffee i'm coming after you to pay for a new one!
videonerd
join:2007-01-21

videonerd to TypeS

to TypeS
If Teksavvy had 125GB caps I'm sure they can lower prices too. If you take their 20mb plan at $70 with 125GB usage, +$5/25GB to 300GB that's $100/mth for comparable service, and with Teksavvy you get unlimited usage in the wee hours.

And FTTH would be insane as a business plan ALTHOUGH if there's live fibre under your sidewalk, the money for an installation might not be that high. It's when you need to dig up a street/sidewalk, trench... gone are the days to climb telephone poles to tap into cable.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to Mb67

to Mb67
said by Mb67 :

Plz setup your own fiber network ftth
Avoid bell Rogers lines

how much would that cost
where i am the current limit is 6mb adsl

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido to Rickkins

to Rickkins
Acanac posted something about their new cable pricing in Rogers area:

»community.acanac.com/aca ··· start=75

"Unfortunately, we will be increasing rates within the Rogers territory in the next few days. With that said, we will continue to offer unlimited service. We will also honor terms prior to the price increase."
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to F and S

Premium Member

to F and S
said by F and S :

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Rickkins:

What does the future hold for the Teksavvy faithful...??

A tall dark stranger will enter your life.
His name is Mirko, the lord of darkness.

@%#$* if I lose another KYBD due to spewed coffee i'm coming after you to pay for a new one!

You are your own Coffee Control Board.

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

So, basically it means we are all going to dsl for high speed..??

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by Rickkins:

So, basically it means we are all going to dsl for high speed..??

Not necessarily. We're still waiting on APOI prices and packages, particularly Rogers areas since those capacity costs are lower than Cogeco's.

I think what some people are forgetting is that Bell capacity prices were halved, and TSI was eating costs and losing money on DSL for over a year now. So the reduced costs need to cover the currennt loses and then whats left they will use to reduce prices and/or increase caps, it won't be as a big a difference I believe as people believe.

erfans
join:2008-10-10
Canada

erfans to Rickkins

to Rickkins
I am confused here. What is going on. Can someone provide tl;dr or a link that would explain this thread.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by erfans:

I am confused here. What is going on. Can someone provide tl;dr or a link that would explain this thread.

»Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB