spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lolwatpear

join:2012-07-03
Wesley Chapel, FL

Time to ask for new router? (I have Westell 9100em)

Just wondering if anyone thinks it's worthwhile to get a new router from Verizon. I've had this for ~5 years. I don't use the router part of it, as I have it hooked up to a secondary Linksys e2500.

For some reason my internet keeps going down every once in awhile and won't work until I restart it. Is it a local area issue, or is it the router? This began like 4 days ago.

Furthermore, would getting the current verizon router actually be a downgrade in anyway from the 9100em, as I noticed some old posts saying that this is a pretty good device.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
It is a good device because it has a very large NAT table. Good for gaming and refreshing server lists.

But it is an old router. I myself have it and it gives me trouble as well. I can't use LAN/WLAN at the same time. It stops working every day or every week at least once. So I only leave it for WiFi at my fiances house. I do suggest saying you have issues with it and to please send another one. Verizon shouldn't have a problem doing so. Its also compatible with faster speeds/faster wireless, depending on the revision you are sent.

lolwatpear

Wesley Chapel, FL
Thanks. Is the MI424-WR Rev. I the latest?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
You only get the "I" if your tier is over 100mbs.

Calling in for a router will get you anything from a used "d" to possible a new "I", though your not suppose to get the "I" unless your on the 150/65 or higher tier

lolwatpear

Wesley Chapel, FL
said by guppy_fish:

Calling in for a router will get you anything from a used "d" to possible a new "I", though your not suppose to get the "I" unless your on the 150/65 or higher tier

Based on your second sentence, is there a chance I can get it even though I have 50mbs? Or, will it be impossible due to what you said in your first sentence?

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by lolwatpear:

Based on your second sentence, is there a chance I can get it even though I have 50mbs? Or, will it be impossible due to what you said in your first sentence?

It's hit or miss, depending on unpredictable factors at the distribution center. Some folks get a Rev.I when they have 75/35, other folks get an old Rev.D.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to lolwatpear
said by lolwatpear:

I don't use the router part of it, as I have it hooked up to a secondary Linksys e2500.

That sentence makes no sense. Did you mean you don't use the wireless part of the Westell? If the Westell is your primary router, you ARE using the router portion of it.

I see no great advantage to upgrading to the rev. I. Even with the rev. I, you'll want to keep the E2500 for wireless since the E2500 is dual band 300 Mbps and rev. I is single band 150Mbps.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

lolwatpear

Wesley Chapel, FL

1 edit
said by More Fiber:

said by lolwatpear:

I don't use the router part of it, as I have it hooked up to a secondary Linksys e2500.

That sentence makes no sense. Did you mean you don't use the wireless part of the Westell? If the Westell is your primary router, you ARE using the router portion of it.

I see no great advantage to upgrading to the rev. I. Even with the rev. I, you'll want to keep the E2500 for wireless since the E2500 is dual band 300 Mbps and rev. I is single band 150Mbps.

Yes, that's what I meant. What verizon router has dual band then? I actually would like to stop using my secondary router if I can.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
said by lolwatpear:

What verizon router has dual band then?

None

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Tell me how I got rev-i 5 months ago when I signed up for fios was on 50/25 then upgraded to 75/35.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
I just set up a customer's FIOS connection a few weeks ago. Verizon issued them a Rev. I router with their 50/25 business service. I bridged it into their Cisco, so it's not really doing much but it most certainly is a Rev. I unit. This was in Tampa, so perhaps in other areas you don't see the Rev.I unless you have the high-end plans.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

forrestlaw

@verizon.net
reply to lolwatpear
I had a similar issue with the same westell router. Called and verizon said that sounded like a bad router and sent me a new one. The service rep said they would send me the same westell model I already had, but what showed up was a the Actiontec model i. I am on the 50/25 plan and don't even use the Actiontec. I use an Airport extreme as my router.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

1 edit
reply to patt2k

said by patt2k See Profile
Tell me how I got rev-i 5 months ago when I signed up for fios was on 50/25 then upgraded to 75/35.

Luck of the draw. I live two counties North of the owner of the company I work for. We both ordered 50/25 a few months before me and got installed 2 months before me (lots of issues with his order). He got a Rev I router. I got a D.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to lolwatpear
said by lolwatpear:

said by guppy_fish:

I have the 50 plan and got a revision "I".
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to lolwatpear
My replacement router for 75/35 was a Rev. I.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

RedCaliSS
Premium
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

according to the tech that did my install all "quantum" tiers regardless of speed get the Rev. I
I'm on the 50/25 and got the Rev I on my 2nd line.. primary was an old Rev D. tech replaced it and gave me a new Rev I, said they are trying to phase them out. so now I have two Rev I.

lolwatpear

Wesley Chapel, FL
reply to lolwatpear
So is there actually any benefit to 'upgrading' to the rev I actiontec from the westell? Considering I'd still continue to use my e2500 for dual band, what can this do for me besides possibly stop these random disconnects I've been getting?

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
the E2500 lacks Gigabit Ethernet, so that's probably the only benifit you would see with the new REV I. The wireless on your E2500 is a better wireless dual band than the rev I, so you will probably use the two of them still.