how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CFoo

join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON

jack post and beams

So when did they change the code regarding securing the jack posts to the main I-beam? I visited my cousin's new home this weekend and all jack post are secured to the beam with self tapping screws. I thought all post had to be welded to the beam. Am I wrong?!?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

We just had a garage build last year and they used screws. Our i-beam was wood but you'd want screws to the jack post (lally column) in case you need to replace it later.

Structural screws:
»www.fastenmaster.com/lok-line.html
»www.strongtie.com/products/conne···ated.asp
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to CFoo

Maybe welding was a local code requirement?

Properly fastened with listed fasteners, I don't know why welding would provide that much more support then welding. If you have torsional or horizontal loading you have more significant problems then welding or screwing is going to fix.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Yeah, I've never seen them welded. The ones in my current house are retained by some fairly thick steel tabs that are bent around the bottom beam flange.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to CFoo

Interesting. MY post in my home are fastened with beefy nuts and bolts.

CFoo

Nepean, ON
reply to CFoo

In Canada, I believe the Ontario building code states that the post must be welded or nut and bolt to the I-beam. At least that what it used to be unless it changed.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to CFoo

I found a Canadian code on them but no mention of installation.
»www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ccmc/registry···02_e.pdf
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to CFoo

said by CFoo:

In Canada, I believe the Ontario building code states that the post must be welded or nut and bolt to the I-beam. At least that what it used to be unless it changed.

Must be a regional thing.

I have seen welded columns, but more often, it's either the bent tabs, or nothing at all... I don't recall ever seeing a bolted or screwed-in post.

This is on Ontario, as well; mostly in the GTA and Barrie-area's...

doechsli

join:2003-11-26
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to CFoo

I had never really though about this until this past spring. There was a tornado in a neighboring county and the home occupant took shelter in a basement under a steel I beam supporting the floor above. The beam was pushed off the posts and consequently she lost both legs from the weight of the beam. Mine were locked in by tabs......they are bolted now.

CFoo

Nepean, ON

said by doechsli:

I had never really though about this until this past spring. There was a tornado in a neighboring county and the home occupant took shelter in a basement under a steel I beam supporting the floor above. The beam was pushed off the posts and consequently she lost both legs from the weight of the beam. Mine were locked in by tabs......they are bolted now.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.

I know here in Ontario, Canada where I live, tornados/ earthquakes are rare but it only take one time so the more secured the posts, the better.