Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to georgeglass5

Not if you never illegally downloaded copyrighted material and you receive a letter because the ISP was sloppy linking the date when you were assigned the IP address, that was previously assigned to another subscriber's account. So they send you a warning letter even though another subscriber previous assigned the IP address did the dirty deed.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by Mr Matt:

Not if you never illegally downloaded copyrighted material and you receive a letter because the ISP was sloppy linking the date when you were assigned the IP address, that was previously assigned to another subscriber's account. So they send you a warning letter even though another subscriber previous assigned the IP address did the dirty deed.

Chances are extremely remote. Too bad for those where some human made a mistake somewhere along the line. That's life - not always fair.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

MustardOne

@paisc.com
reply to Mr Matt

said by Mr Matt:

Not if you never illegally downloaded copyrighted...

That is a misnomer. Downloading copyrighted material is NOT illegal. Copyright covers distribution. No one, in the USA, has been sued for just downloading something. But, you will never hear this from the media companies or their shills. They want you to believe just listening to a song or watching a movie is illegal unless you paid.

I am all for paying for content. Up until recently that hasn't been the easiest thing. But things like Netflix and Hulu have been great, well for me anyway. But even with those services, the greedy middle man gets in the way. Stop putting arbitrary restrictions on content. Why is a new episode only available for 3 days, or only available 8 days after airing? I think it is the filthy middle man that bothers me and probably others. Why does the average author only get about 20% from book sales? They wrote the freaking thing? Why doesn't the average musician get 80% or more of the profits? What about the artists that write, direct and act in movies?