Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BrianV

join:2008-11-17
Long Sault, ON
kudos:1

[DSL] MLPPP and related questions

It seems that the MLPPP sticky is gone now.

I live in a semi-rural area. While I currently get DSL service, I have a 56db attenuation, so I am a fair ways from the CO which is in the centre of the nearest small town. There is no cable service available, although Cogeco has quoted me that they will extend the line from up the road for $30,000...

I'm currently able to get 3008/800 service, which has been 'good enough' for the past few years, but now it's becoming somewhat restrictive as I often work from home. Specifically, while I can continue to live with the 3mbps downstream, the upload rate is really killing me as I often deal with larger files, graphics etc.

I'm considering ordering a second line for MLPPP. As I understand, the costs will be an additional DSL subscription and a dry-loop fee, plus the activation fee, and cost for the Bell technician to show up and connect our second pair to my line protector.

Here's the questions I have:

1. Is it reasonable to expect Bell to put a 'proper' NID in for each line? Currently, we just have an old Northern Telecom box with the two fuses and three screw down connectors; I assume Bell will need to add some sort of solution for the second line anyways.

2. I am open to buying a new router (ie, WRT54GL) to run Tomato/MLPPP, but that is really looking like abandonware these days. I wonder how many people would be interested in trying to put together some funding to get Guspaz & co to port their changes to TomatoUSB so we can get some better support for more modern hardware (ASUS RT-N* series etc.)

3. Are there any other costs I'm not accounting for above?

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I would need to pay almost $90 per month for 6mbps internet service, but I guess that's what living in the technological third world gets you...

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Here's the thread. It's no longer sticky, but still exists: »Everything MLPPP

1. Telus will, but Bell seems to be generally worse than Telus.

2. I started a bounty for this, but had no takers for several months until my offer expired. I've since started to experiment with other options, such as Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter Lite. »tomatousb.org/forum/t-259111/tom···-1300830
--
db

BrianV

join:2008-11-17
Long Sault, ON
kudos:1
Interesting. I'd support the bounty; Makes sense to donate (at minimum) the money I would be spending on a new router. Maybe not enough visibility for the bounty?

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Not sure about the visibility. I linked to it on Linsysinfo.org, where most of the current tomato devs hang out. I also mentioned it at least once in this forum, and I believe I even had a conversation with Guspaz about it, in addition to a programmer friend of mine. The end result was basically zero interest.

I might be interested in renewing the bounty at some point, but for now I'm going to focus on testing the ERL. Unfortunately the one I ordered has faulty hardware so I'm not going to be able to do a thing with it until the RMA gets processed.

I'm currently using pfsense. It's ok for MLPPP, but I would still prefer something on smaller less expensive hardware.
--
db