Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DavidEBSmith
Premium
join:2005-12-23
Chicago, IL

[Connectivity] Will I need an installer visit if I have cable al

Thinking about switching from awful AT&T DSL to Comcast HSI. We already have Comcast TV and an outlet close enough to where the modem would be. Will Comcast want to send an installer out to install the HSI, or will they let me do it myself?

I already have the dual-band router, the various computers and smart TVs and Rokus and home networking all running fine, I just need a better Internet connection. All I want is some Internet connectivity and a modem to plug the network into and I'll be happy.

This is on the northwest side of Chicago, btw.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Re: [Connectivity] Will I need an installer visit if I have cabl

Is there a drop cable from your tap to your home that is currently connected to the tap ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DavidEBSmith

If you have TV it is LIKELY (depends on house wiring, signal levels, noise, etc.) that you can do a self install with either a purchased or rented modem.
I would tend to suggest you rent a modem for a couple months just to try it out (30 day money back guarantee applies ) you can call and have a modem shipped (may be non refundable shipping charge), or pick one up at the local service center.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Woops. Missed the "Already have Comcast TV" comment.

asciirider
Premium
join:2000-07-25
Chicago, IL
reply to DavidEBSmith

You can do like I did and go to Best Buy and buy a modem and have them activate you.

By the time I got home and hooked it up it was set to go.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DavidEBSmith

said by DavidEBSmith:

Thinking about switching from awful AT&T DSL to Comcast HSI. We already have Comcast TV and an outlet close enough to where the modem would be. Will Comcast want to send an installer out to install the HSI, or will they let me do it myself?...

I was in that same situation, but with a different DSL provider. Comcast sent me an HSI self-install kit. It contained the modem, a couple of cables for the coax (one about 4 or 5 feet, the other around 12 feet long), a splitter to insert into the incoming feed, plus instructions.

This was a few years ago, I would presume that Comcast continues to allow self-installs of HSI.