share rss forum feed

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

The New Tomb Raider

Some reviews are coming in and for the most part... people are loving it! I've been fixed on this game for quite a few years and now that it's finally coming out on March 5th AND reviews are giving it such high praise... I'm, again, officially excited to play the new Tomb Raider game.

Some of the recent gameplay videos I've watched for the new TR were kind of lackluster and uninspired. For awhile there I was losing hope that it would be a good, enjoyable game. It just looked and played so rough around the edges and this was with code no longer than a month old. I was nervous this game would slowly slip into the abyss and fade away into mediocrity. But the reviews I've been reading today are highly positive.

Tomb Raider has always been a cornerstone experience for me in gaming. I've played & really loved all the previous games to date. Some were better than others, yes, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the series. I especially remember when I was much younger playing the first Tomb Raider and how much time I put into that game. It really was a great/positive experience for me as a gamer throughout my youth and even now well into my adulthood. Still have fond memories of Tomb Raider. I also remember all the racy coverage in magazines, the news, word of mouth, etc. about Lara Croft and her "assets." People back then we're all up in arms talking about this new gaming vixen and how some believed it was inappropriate or sexist and while others enjoyed the notion of a strong leading lady comfortable with her sexuality. It was able time too! Most, if not all, games before that were with overly macho male leads or highly sexualize male protagonists.

I know for my sisters who also played a lot of Tomb Raider it was something they could look up to. Something they were able to relate to and find empowering. It had to have been an even more powerful and moving experience for them than for me I'd imagine. They were able to finally relate to and interact with a strong female lead character that all the times before that played games with women who were always second fiddle, weaker or even worse: expendable.

I'm just happy people are enjoying the new game. Gives me hope that I might be able to recapture that fondness of TR like I did before. With a new, updated Tomb Raider experience that ushers in a new era of gaming.

How do you guys feel about Tomb Raider? Excited for the new one?

Here are some of the reviews for Tomb Raider that I've been reading, too:

- »penny-arcade.com/report/editoria···b-raider

- »www.gameinformer.com/games/tomb_···iew.aspx

- »www.escapistmagazine.com/article···ign=auto

Morfein

join:2004-09-08
Avon, IN

I'm interested... but the one I played (can't remember name) was on the playstation. And I remember being hung up so many times and not knowing how to get past certain parts. To the point if I had not had a friend that had done it before telling me.. I would have quit.

TruSm0ke

Michigan

Oh yeah, that happened to me plenty of times too. Some of the puzzles were crazy hard to figure out. I've wanted to pull my hair out so many times playing Tomb Raider that I should be bald!

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to TruSm0ke

said by TruSm0ke:

I especially remember when I was much younger playing the first Tomb Raider

said by TruSm0ke:

even now well into my adulthood.

Non sequitur.

TruSm0ke

Michigan

Don't know why you would say that. What I said makes sense. When you look at it like that you take it out of context. I was once young, and now I'm well into my adulthood.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to TruSm0ke

Will pick it up for a playthrough. Looks pretty good!

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to TruSm0ke

I'll definitely pick it up as I am interested. Not going to pre-order (though $30 is v. tempting, I would've gotten it if I didn't have a 100 other games to finish first) but it seems great so far.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to TruSm0ke

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbjLelOpa0

She looks much hotter than the very first PC version.

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:1

Seems great except that video made me be concerned about the graphics...
--
dslreports.com

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to shinjuru

@Shinjuru - That's gameplay from last year's E3. Still a good showcase of the game and it's awesome to watch but it's old by now. So hopefully some animations, performance, and graphical tweaks have been done.

I could be wrong but I also think that most review sites have only been able to get console versions. I don't think the PC version have been released to anyone for review just yet. That could explain why many gameplay videos that we've seen show low textures and low-end graphics... due to the fact that it's being played from a console. I'm pretty sure what we'll get on PC will be much better graphical-wise.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to TruSm0ke

I take it this will be Uncharted with a Lara Croft, for the most part?

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by Phantasee:

I take it this will be Uncharted with a Lara Croft, for the most part?

You mean like Tomb Raider?
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Indeed.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

Then probably.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to TruSm0ke

Hilarious:

»teamcoco.com/video/clueless-game···b-raider

TruSm0ke

Michigan

Oh man, I love Conan. I like how he rates the games.

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

That was funny!
--
dslreports.com