share rss forum feed

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:1

Gamefly vs blockbuster

Does anyone subscribe?

Interested in signing up for one of them. Curious to read people's experiences from this website.
--
dslreports.com

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
I used Gamefly, before they added streaming to their service.

I liked it, because it was 16 bucks a month, and I was able to play 3 to 4 games in that time frame. So 16 bucks vs 50-60 dollars per new game, it was a win-win IMO.

I left Gamefly and switched to Blockbuster.
As a Dish subscriber, I only have to pay 10 bucks a month for blockbuster, so it's a savings of 5 bucks per month compared with gamefly.

Add to that, I can also get movies if I wanted to.

The turn around time seems to be as long as gamefly. We average about 4 maybe 5 disks [if lucky] a month. I think Netflix has a faster rotation. We could go to the next level and get 2 disks at a time, but that increases the bill by about 5 bucks.

Over all, however the service is pretty good. Though we have received damaged disks twice in the mail, Blockbuster was quick to replace them.

Also, by subscribing to Blockbuster@Home, we have access to the digital streaming. Though I haven't seen evidence of that, because the Streaming page doesn't require a Dish subscription nor a Blockbuster one.
»www.dishanywhere.com/

Is their streaming service. To unlock the "premium" channels you have to enter your Dish account number. Then the channels you pay for are unlocked. It's basically he free hulu site with a dish skin on it.

But to sum it up:
If you have a Dish account, you can save 5 bucks a month.
If you want to get games for PC as well as console and hand held devices, gamefly is the way to go.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

monchis
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks so much.

I checked and blockbuster is 9.99/month for 1 disc and Gamefly is indeed 15.

But one thing I noticed was for example, I really want to play metal gear rising, it says available 06/04/2013 for blockbuster. I was going to sign up until I saw that which stopped me.

Thanks again for your input, appreciate it.
--
dslreports.com

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to monchis
I was a subscriber to Gamefly for years, and just cancelled it this month. Not because I was dis-satisfied with it, but that I didn't have anything in my queue, and the $24/mo (2 games out) was better used elsewhere for the time being.

The benefit for Gamefly, is after you've been a member for a few months, you get 10% of pre-owned games, either bought from the site, or if you choose "keep it" from your queue. I bought all my PSP games from Gamefly for a fraction of what they would've cost new. You also get $5 off coupons every 3 months, but those expire by the next 3 month period. I've been able to get 2 coupons to work at once and saved $10 on a game.

I just bought AR Tonelico Quoga for PS3 before I dropped them, for $18 (down from $24) The package came in the mail and it was the collector's edition, with the soundtrack CD and the artbook. Not bad for $18! ($60-$80 still on Amazon) I've gotten many collector's editions from them on the PSP games I bought. You don't know that until it comes.

So if you see yourself wanting to buy the games you like, I think Gamefly is a deal for you. I've never used Blockbuster, so I can't vouch for that.