Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

Encryption

Let's see them snoop that.

rseiler

join:2001-11-01

said by NOYB:

That shouldn't be a problem, since I'm all but sure that deep-packet inspection, which is what they're presumably doing, sees right through encryption. This is nothing new.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

Wrong!
Epic fail!
Don't speak about things of which you know not.

what_ever

@buckeyecom.net
reply to rseiler

DPI sees right through encryption?

What are you smoking, as I would like some.

rseiler

join:2001-11-01

1 edit
reply to NOYB

He's referring to enabling encryption in something like uTorrent, right?

That works? I've seen repeated comments that it doesn't. If it did, people would use just that and not worry about anything else.

Edit: I guess by the word "Encryption" you all divined that he meant "VPN," in which case, yes, of course, you're fine there. Just saying "encryption" though isn't enough.

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
reply to NOYB

said by NOYB:

You have no idea how BitTorrent tracking works, do you?

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

I said nothing of BitTorrent.

If the data is encrypted they cannot determine the contents.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

They don't need to. They can see what IP addresses are torrenting traffic and send a subpoena to find out the IP address of who is using the service from the VPN service provider. If in the US, they either comply or get sued. If outside the US, they can work with local law enforcement. Either way, once they get the info they give that person a strike.

VPNs are slowly becoming irrelevant.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Good luck getting the IP information from a VPN provider that doesn't log that information in the first place.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to silbaco

IP addresses are just end points. Says nothing about the contents. It could be the Bible digitized, home movies, or even paid for movies for all they know.

Torrent is not copyright infringement synonym.

If they hand out strikes based on source IP address then they will be giving a lot of false positives. In the end that will be detrimental to the credibility of their system.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

said by NOYB:

I said nothing of BitTorrent.

If the data is encrypted they cannot determine the contents.

Where did you get the idea that anyone would be snooping on the contents of data transmissions to determine what it is?

It has been clearly stated that the six strikes plan only concerns file sharing networks, of which, BitTorrent is the most used.

said by NOYB:

IP addresses are just end points. Says nothing about the contents. It could be the Bible digitized, home movies, or even paid for movies for all they know.

You don't understand this system at all.

The ISP isn't doing the monitoring, a completely separate organization is.

Anyone joining a torrent swarm will see all the IP addresses of the users sharing that particular file. If there's a torrent for a big Hollywood movie and you join that torrent, you see all the IP addresses of people sharing that movie. It's as simple as that.

Other file sharing software works pretty much the same way.