Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt

Re: More OnStar BS.

said by Mr Matt:

When the wireless carriers eliminated all analog service OnStar subscribers owning automobiles manufactured before a certain date had to have the OnStar circuit boards in there automobiles replaced by a local dealer with new boards at their expense. Who will pay to replace CDMA circuit boards with GSM compatible circuit boards?

What makes you think that Verizon equipped cars will stop working? I am sure that until Verizon shuts off CDMA entirely ,years in the future, it will not be an issue. By then, most of those CDMA Onstar cars will be on scrap heaps.

Besides, after the initial free 6 mos to 1 yr most users didn't re-up their Onstar subscriptions anyway. Just like when I got a new car, I had 9 mos free of Sirius. But when that free period was up I ended the subscription.
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

cahiatt

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

What makes you think that Verizon equipped cars will stop working?

Becuase the vehicle owner is contracting their service with OnStar, not Verizon. How long is OnStar obligated to maintain the service with Verizon so that vehicles so equipped can keep the service. Did GM include a GSM capable system so that a change like this could be make easily?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by cahiatt:

How long is OnStar obligated to maintain the service with Verizon so that vehicles so equipped can keep the service.

Don't know. That depends on what was in the contract OnStar signed with Verizon.

But if the deal Amazon signed with Sprint is any example, the old original Kindle readers that used Sprint as the network for book downloads, the deal was to continue providing service as long as technically possible. Those original Sprint enabled Kindles still work even though Amazon switched to AT&T several years ago.