uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

Speed upgrade free or $10/mo

Just looked at my bill and i'm being charged $10 for a speed upgrade.

I thought the upgrade was free?

I'm on performance and am getting 50/10mbps.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by Alcohol:

Just looked at my bill and i'm being charged $10 for a speed upgrade.

I thought the upgrade was free?

Well, it all depends on your unique situation, but generally if you're going to 50/10, that means you're on Blast! not Performance. The switch from Performance to Blast! is generally 10 bucks for the upgrade and double the speed.

Got a scan of your bill with your question?

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

I've always been on performance. Didn't pay for the speed upgrade until 2 months ago.

Comcast just added $10 to my bill without my consent. Bill still shows i'm on performance.
--

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by Alcohol:

I've always been on performance. Didn't pay for the speed upgrade until 2 months ago.

Comcast just added $10 to my bill without my consent. Bill still shows i'm on performance.

Well, in that case, go hit the Direct Forum, explain your situation and get it credited to your bill. After the upgrade, Performance should be 25/4 according to the article.

»Source: New Comcast Speeds Arrive For Most in March

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Alcohol

Well, there has to be a noted difference somewhere on your bill. Sure, if you compare your "total amount due" from one bill to the next and the difference is $10, you should be able to look at both bills and figure out exactly where that $10 is coming from.

The bill that I got at the end of December was $7.77 more then the bill I got in November. I then got out both bills (Yes, I still get paper copies) and looked at each line item in each section, to try to figure out what the exact difference was.

For me, $5.00 of the $7.77 was an increase in my triple play price. That went from $149.95 to $154.95. The exact wording on my bill for that is "XFINITY Bundled Services(Preferred Xf, which includes: Digital Preferred With Ondemand, Video Equipment, Internet Service,Digital Voice Unlimited)".

$2.00 of the $7.77 came from an increase in the price that Comcast is now charging to rent the Set Top Boxes (for any box above the one free one). In my area, that cost went from $8.99 to $9.99 (increase of $1 per box). Since I have 3 STB's, my bill increased $2 here.

$0.77 of the $7.77 is with increases in taxes and other fees. I don't have both bills in front of me now, but I was able to see exactly which line item went up, and the total increase there was $0.77.

So, in my case if I add up $5.00 + $2.00 + $0.77, I get $7.77, which is the actual difference between the "total amount due" for both bills.

So, if you have access to both bills, you should be able to figure out exactly where your $10 increase is coming from.

It is at that point that you can try to figure out (and if you want, post what you find out here) to try to determine if the cost was something you asked for, or to try to get more information as to why something did change.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

If you are supposed to be on performance and are getting 50/10Mbps, then you are not running at performance speeds, that is the current Blast tier. Even when performance is updated it will only be 25/4.
--
Deeds, not words

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

Well, there has to be a noted difference somewhere on your bill. Sure, if you compare your "total amount due" from one bill to the next and the difference is $10, you should be able to look at both bills and figure out exactly where that $10 is coming from.

The bill that I got at the end of December was $7.77 more then the bill I got in November. I then got out both bills (Yes, I still get paper copies) and looked at each line item in each section, to try to figure out what the exact difference was.

For me, $5.00 of the $7.77 was an increase in my triple play price. That went from $149.95 to $154.95. The exact wording on my bill for that is "XFINITY Bundled Services(Preferred Xf, which includes: Digital Preferred With Ondemand, Video Equipment, Internet Service,Digital Voice Unlimited)".

$2.00 of the $7.77 came from an increase in the price that Comcast is now charging to rent the Set Top Boxes (for any box above the one free one). In my area, that cost went from $8.99 to $9.99 (increase of $1 per box). Since I have 3 STB's, my bill increased $2 here.

$0.77 of the $7.77 is with increases in taxes and other fees. I don't have both bills in front of me now, but I was able to see exactly which line item went up, and the total increase there was $0.77.

So, in my case if I add up $5.00 + $2.00 + $0.77, I get $7.77, which is the actual difference between the "total amount due" for both bills.

So, if you have access to both bills, you should be able to figure out exactly where your $10 increase is coming from.

It is at that point that you can try to figure out (and if you want, post what you find out here) to try to determine if the cost was something you asked for, or to try to get more information as to why something did change.

--Brian

I know where it's coming from. Here is my bill from March 2013

. Here is my bill from January 2013

. And a few months before, there was no category for "speed upgrade" .

Like i said, i've always been on performance. I've never asked for blast and i've never asked for a speed upgrade. Is comcast just putting people on blast without their permissions? I got no email, no letter, no call.
--

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

Well, now that we see your bill, it makes sense, but still confuses the hell out of me. I'd definitely hit Direct and see about getting this square and credited.

From looking at your bill, this is the first time I've ever heard of a "Speed Upgrade" promotion that's 10 bucks. I'd say you were on Blast!. But it'd say Blast as a part of your bill.

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Someone else posted that this happened to them last month... It's gotta be in the fine print somewhere.

[url]»slickdeals.net/f/5813998-Comcast···nt[/url]

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by mario02423:

Someone else posted that this happened to them last month... It's gotta be in the fine print somewhere.

[url]»slickdeals.net/f/5813998-Comcast···nt[/url]

Yes. This is interesting. Wonder what that deal was about. Sounds identical to here.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yeah, i guess the first 3 months were a free upgrade like he said which is why the speed upgrade of $0 was recently added to the bill.

Strange thing is, i've been on 50/10 for a while. Ever since the roll out first began on east coast. I've never had blast. This is the first time my bill has gone over $50.

I don't want to go back to 25/5mbps so i'll probably keep the "speed upgrade" but this is really shady comcast.
--

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2

That's an odd way to reflect the promotion. Must be how the CSR or ? coded it into your account.

I have 15/2 Performance included in my bundle. I wrangled a somewhat better deal that included 25/4 Blast free for 3 months.

First difference is that I did ask for the upgrade.

The second difference is that the $10/month charge for the Blast upgrade was shown on my bill, however, it was offset with a $10 credit. Same way with the video side, full price shown and offset with a credit for the special. Makes it easy to track and figure out what is happening.

Hopefully Blast will go to 50/10 here this month since I will be paying the extra $10 now.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

Confused

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Alcohol

My cable bill always reminds me of this old riddle:

Three men rent a hotel room. Each pays $10 for a total of $30 spent on the room. The next day the hotel owner tells the three men that they over paid for the room as it only costs $25. The three men tell the owner to give them each a dollar back and he can keep two dollars.

If you do the math, each man paid $9 a piece for the room for a total of $27. The owner kept $2 which brings the total to $29.

The question is where did the other dollar go?

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ

The lost $1 is a classic example of "Administrative Fee and service charge"
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Alcohol

Thats the way they do it around here. It just means you were on a promotion. Would have been in the wording when they first put you on the promotion. Rather than remove your promotion they just ad the speed upgrade which is the same as blast. The free promotion For the speed tier just ran out before your performance promo ran out. Probably at the 3,6 or 12 month mark. As with the premium station promotions you have to call and cancel if you dont want it or you pay for it.