Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2

[Connectivity] Downstreme Signal Power and Temperature

Click for full size
My Current Signal Levels

Current Temperature

I've read a few discussions on here where people have issues with signals when the temperature goes up in the summer.

However, I believe I have the opposite problem.

The pictures above show the current temperature, as well as my current signal / power levels.

Last week, it got down to around 8 degrees F. What I would notice is that when I was using Skype to make voice calls, I could not hear the person on the other end, or the call would drop.

When that was going on, I would take a look at my signal / power levels. For the downstream power, they would be in the range of 9.xx dBmV all the way up to 11.xx dBmV.

So, my question is, what options do I have to try to fix this issue?

As far as the wiring goes, my Cable Modem is plugged into a coax line that runs around my room, through the wall, and then outside. From there, it continues to the back of the house into a 3-way splitter. That is one solid line. There are no other splitters or couplers in it between the cable modem and the 3-way splitter.
From that point, the line runs up the side of the house, then across the yard to the pole at the street.

The other 2 legs go to different rooms in the house and are setup the same way and connect directly into Cable TV Set Top Boxes.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Renthal

join:2005-10-16
West Lafayette, IN

You could add a splitter or an attenuator to drop the downstream power level. However, it will cause the upstream power to increase.

Darknessfall

join:2012-08-17
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to plencnerb

At least your signals don't have a panic attack based on temperatures like mine lol.

During the 1-18 degree F days a month ago:

Down:
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 8.7 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 2: 9.6 dBmV 40.7 dB
Channel 3: 9.6 dBmV 40.5 dB
Channel 4: 9.6 dBmV 40.5 dB
Channel 5: 10.2 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 6: 10.0 dBmV 40.2 dB
Channel 7: 9.7 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 8: 9.5 dBmV 40.4 dB

Up:
Power Level:
Channel 1: 40.5 dBmV
Channel 2: 39.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

2 days ago as it's above freezing every afternoon lately:

Channel 1: 2.2 dBmV 40.9 dB
Channel 2: 2.3 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 3: 2.7 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 4: 1.7 dBmV 39.9 dB
Channel 5: 2.2 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 6: 3.0 dBmV 40.3 dB
Channel 7: 1.3 dBmV 39.9 dB
Channel 8: 1.5 dBmV 39.9 dB
Power Level:
Channel 1: 40.5 dBmV
Channel 2: 42.0 dBmV

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to plencnerb

Click for full size
I had that same issue. 25F and below my DS pwr was 9-12 depending, above freezing they would be more acceptable. I purchased a couple of forward path antennuators, a 6db and a 3 db. Using the 6db one now and at 40F and sunny my DS pwr is 3Dbmv. Typically has been mostly 4 to 5 dbmv. I purchased them here »www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technetix-For···cd15153a It took a couple of weeks to get them.
These are todays readings.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. If the problem continues, I'll look at getting a forward path antennuators, either a 6db or a 3db one.

--Brian

AnonMan

@comcast.net

At least most of everyone's are fairly level. Mine have a big swing. 1.3 all the way up to 5.9...

This is with a 10db Forward Path Attenuator btw.. I am on the first amp out of the CMTS and levels can't be adjusted I am buddies with the local team that maintains it and due to the next jump being too far this is what it must be... So imagine without my Forward Path lol. This is also when it's warm out so it goes 3-4 higher when cold and a 100 foot RG6 drop (prob why the big swing vs just all being 5.9)

Channel 1: 4.6 dBmV 41.6 dB
Channel 2: 5.9 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 3: 5.4 dBmV 41.7 dB
Channel 4: 3.9 dBmV 41.0 dB
Channel 5: 3.0 dBmV 40.6 dB
Channel 6: 2.5 dBmV 40.7 dB
Channel 7: 2.0 dBmV 40.3 dB
Channel 8: 1.3 dBmV 40.0 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
Channel 1: 39.5 dBmV
Channel 2: 39.0 dBmV

twizt3dkitty

@comcast.net

You guys do know that your powerlevel can change from the tap as well right? and anywhere from +9 ~ -9 are acceptable green levels via grandslam upstream i believe is 35.0 - 49.9 lower the better but again its all relative, and the dbmv is the number you go by. I wouldnt go as far as using antens or pads unless you have numbers of +12 or higher.

twizt3dkitty

@comcast.net
reply to AnonMan

@anonman

yikes, those are high, are you off an amp or the powerbox on the hardline.

AnonMan

@sct.com

I am on the first amp that the head unit feeds. My amp basically feeds the rest of the peds in my area.

It's an old Adelphia area so probably why only my amp is feeding so much so they crank it so high. They have evaled the amp 4 times in past 12 months. They just recently took off manual mode and put back on Automatic even as on manual was worse in cold weather.

Without my 10dB Forward Path my levels can get close to 20 in the cold weather :/ and mid teens during warmer.

Sad part is I had to get the pad myself. They just wanted to put splitters or regular attenuators on my line which had my US level around 50, which while may be okay I didn't like so got my own FWD Path Attenuators to use.