how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JoeN

join:2011-07-01
Liverpool, NY

So which "speed tests" do I believe ???

I just renewed my contract with Verizon and upgraded my Internet speed to 50Mbps down / 25Mbps up from (25mbps down / 15mbps up) the old speeds are no longer available, so I was told. With the old package I was getting upwards of 30mbps down and 20mbps up as per "Speakeasy speed test".

Now with the upgrade my speed tests are all over the place:

Speakeasy shows - 37mbps down / 20mbps up
Speedtest.net shows - 50mbps down / 25mbps up
Verizon Broadband speed test - 58mbps down / 39mbps up

Anybody have some thoughts on this ??

Thanks in advance

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX

Want one more?

»myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

I just go with the VZ test whenever I make changes to me setup (I do a before and after test).

JoeN

Liverpool, NY
reply to JoeN

All I ever used in the past was "Speakeasy", so I do not know how my old speeds compared to other speed sites :-(

Visualware requires Java, I just recently uninstalled Java because of issues, which are now gone, so I don't want to reinstall it -

Do you trust the VZ speed test to be accurate ??

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

The Verizon speedtest site is 100% accurate within the Verizon network. All other speedtest sites are external to Verizon's network, so it is hard to say how accurate they are. Speedtest.net sites using the newer Ookla software will get better upload results. I don't know if Speakeasy is using the newer Ookla software.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to JoeN

this site always gave me best results when other speed tests showed even 20mbps less -> »spdtst-dlls.tx.centurylink.net/

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2

IMO speakeasy should never be used for fios. It doesn't do upload for squat! and dl tests are questionable at best. Stick with the VZ and speedtest.net speedtest.net, imo, you should always look for a beefy server. stay away from the mom and pop servers.

TreeTops

join:2008-11-23

Speedtest.net here also, just do not click "start now" when page first loads!

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to JoeN

I always use this: »speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

JoeN

Liverpool, NY
reply to JoeN

Thanks everyone, looks like the VZ test is a winner along with Speedtest.net as a backup -

JoeN

Liverpool, NY
reply to JoeN

Would it be OK to post the results of the SpeedGuide.net TCP/IP Analyzer in this forum, in a new thread, I would be interested in what forum members think of the way my network connections are set up and any possible corrections that could be made ?

Again THANKS in advance