spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

clammfr

join:2013-02-25

[DVR] Possible to transfer content to new DVR?

My current DVR box is acting sketchy and I think it may be starting to fail. Would anyone know if Verizon can transfer the data on my current unit to a replacement box if I were to swap them out?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

No. Recordings are tied to a specific box (even those on an external drive).

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to clammfr

You can transfer them to your computer via firewire if they are not protected.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

said by Bytezboy:

I'd LOVE to know how to do that. Is it as simple as connecting it to the PC and it will be recognized as an external data store? If so, what format are the recordings?
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ

Search google for: motorola dvr firewire transfer ... It works with my QIP-6416. I only did it as a test for fun however.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:1

It's done in real-time though, right?

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

Yes, it's a real-time (i.e. playback) transfer. It is not viewed as an external HD. It's a digital connection but functionally no different than connecting one of the video outs to a capture board on the PC.

It has occurred to me that you might be able to go firewire into a digital video camera and then transfer the files to the PC. This would be an advantage to me because my PC and DVR are a couple of rooms away from eachother. However, when I've needed to archive things in the past I've used the DVD-Recorder/VCR that I still have hooked up in my home theater.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to NickP65

said by NickP65:

Search google for: motorola dvr firewire transfer ... It works with my QIP-6416. I only did it as a test for fun however.

Works on my 7216, heard it works on 7232 too.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA
reply to NickP65

said by NickP65:

Isn't that the only reason to do such things
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to Bytezboy

said by Bytezboy:

Note that MANY channels have copy protection on them, and even some channels that we SHOULD be able to capture from are unable to be captured from due to a bug in the implementation of the firewire output programming of the 7232-P2. Specifically, some channels (all broadcast TV + others) are set as "Copy Freely", and they are fine. Other channels are set as "Copy Once" and we SHOULD be able to capture from them, but the 7232 IMPROPERLY doesn't pass them over the firewire. The channels marked "Copy None" are properly not passed.

That also means that any programs saved on your DVR from those channels will have the copy flag set as it was when it was recorded.

If you've got content from premium movie channels it's unlikely you'll be able to capture them over firewire.

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to clammfr

how about component outs?

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ
reply to fishacura

Yes, for the most part, that was the reason.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to jimboe

said by jimboe:

how about component outs?

Component out will work but you need to have the right hardware to input the signal to.

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to sbernstein5

said by sbernstein5:

Note that MANY channels have copy protection on them,

Actually many channels are encrypted but so far it appears that for "live" programming (IE: neither PPV nor VOD) there are very few that actually have content protection flags set. HBO and Cinemax are the two sets of channels known to be affected.

Other channels are set as "Copy Once" and we SHOULD be able to capture from them,

If you record to DVR then that is your one copy and you would not then be able to copy that recording via firewire.

You would need to make the recording via firewire live, and would only be able to do this to a device that also supports DTCP 5C (IE: not any PC or Mac).

Since the query was about transferring already-recorded programs the distinction that you would only be able to transfer (via firewire) programs that did not have any copy-protection would apply.

The channels marked "Copy None" are properly not passed.

Note that channels marked copy never are also prohibited from being recorded by the DVR.

That also means that any programs saved on your DVR from those channels will have the copy flag set as it was when it was recorded.

Actually not. For content that is originally flagged copy-once, the first (and only authorized) recording will in fact be flagged as copy-never. This is part of the DTCP spec and is how existence of only a single copy is enforced.

If you've got content from premium movie channels it's unlikely you'll be able to capture them over firewire.

I am able to copy this content just fine via firewire from Showtime and other premiums other than HBO & Cinemax, which are the two on which VZ was forced to start passing content-protection flags. Prior to this past summer when those flags were implemented, HBO and Cinemax were also recordable to PC or Mac via firewire.